Discuss Why don't text messages "bounce" in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

So here is the scenario:

Tried sending a cousin a text message twice - no response, so tried calling him... mobile network says "number no recognised (or something similar)

So why didn't the mobile network return them "undelivered" - a bit like emails do.

Just wondering

Thanks

Because text messages are dumb compared to email. The message is sent to the number without verification but no protocol exists (in the traditional sense of SMS) for it to respond saying it sent ok.

So here is the scenario:

Tried sending a cousin a text message twice - no response, so tried calling him... mobile network says "number no recognised (or something similar)

So why didn't the mobile network return them "undelivered" - a bit like emails do.

Just wondering

Thanks
I would say, it must have been sent to a valid number, does not matter if it's not the number you want, if number was unobtainable it would not send.

I would say, it must have been sent to a valid number, does not matter if it's not the number you want, if number was unobtainable it would not send.

Hum... and that's my point - my phone shows the text as "sent" but trying to call the number revealed the number was not valid!

You can set up a delivery report, basically a text sent to you to confirm actual delivery. My mate does it to keep track of work texts.

You can set up a delivery report, basically a text sent to you to confirm actual delivery. My mate does it to keep track of work texts.

I was under the impression that the "receiver" can prevent these from being sent!

You may get a failed to deliver after several attempts message after a couple of days.
I seem to remember getting these in the distant) past.

Hi - yes we can get a delivery receipt for SMS - but it's not very reliable as some SMS are received but not acknowledged and I think it may be possible for a text to be acknowledged but not received by the phone, let alone read by its owner. It gets complicated (for me anyway) but I think HT has it right ... it wasn't really designed with this in mind. E.g., if I text wifey when she's in coverage, I seem to get an ack. And a return text at some point. If she's in a 'not-spot' when I send, she gets the text when she's back in coverage but I don't ever get an ack. Just a nice return text, of course. This is for a text that crosses 2 UK networks.

Reply to Why don't text messages "bounce" in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock