Discuss Why Earth before IR testing? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Too right I'm confused. The question isn't specifically about SWA but taking that as an example, if there were a phase to armour fault that would be picked up even if the armour were not connected to earth.

OK,so if you expand this notion to any other cable,the reasons for earthing that particular conductor,during that particular test,are obvious.

Another reason,if one was needed,for earthing the armour on SWA during an IR test,would be that even if the armour only provided mechanical protection,an indication of it's integrity,that is to say,how the outer sheath may be providing prevention of moisture,rust,etc,in relation to the environment (earth) is also tested.

I still have not heard the counter debate,from the OP,of why the other side of this argument,feel it is not necessary...

Where on earth (no pun intended ) do you get these drawings from??
I draw them out, lines, shapes, connectors, etc.
This one is a bit odd in that it was done quickly and it is hard to indicate a bonding strap on a pipe, but I should have just done another tube inset, nope that does not work either.
I now have a very odd library of very odd diagrams.:rolleyes:

OK,so if you expand this notion to any other cable,the reasons for earthing that particular conductor,during that particular test,are obvious.

Another reason,if one was needed,for earthing the armour on SWA during an IR test,would be that even if the armour only provided mechanical protection,an indication of it's integrity,that is to say,how the outer sheath may be providing prevention of moisture,rust,etc,in relation to the environment (earth) is also tested.

I still have not heard the counter debate,from the OP,of why the other side of this argument,feel it is not necessary...

A sadly large number of sparks I have worked with have little respect for the regs. I do not share their views. As this became a requirement relatively recently, 10 years ago, perhaps some people have not kept up with the changes and do not see the importance of it. Let's say that and give them the benefit of the doubt.

I draw them out, lines, shapes, connectors, etc.
This one is a bit odd in that it was done quickly and it is hard to indicate a bonding strap on a pipe, but I should have just done another tube inset, nope that does not work either.
I now have a very odd library of very odd diagrams.:rolleyes:

I was wondering Richard,if you could do a family portrait for me?

I could send you a photograph,or,just watch the Deliverance,and sketch two adults and two kids...it'll be near enough...:)

As I understand it, apart from other paralell faults, you want the "biggest bang" (PEFC) figure.

A question for testers to settle a debate at work - GN3 & regulation 612.3.1 state that when doing insulation resistance, the CPC/armour of swa MUST be connected to Earth.
Does anyone know why this is please?
I have just read this post and was so shocked I have had to put my Cider down and take a walk up the garden, I am in total shock to be honest, what on earth are they teaching you Kids these days, time to stick my head in a bucket of water, clearly the cider is making me confused lol

A question for testers to settle a debate at work - GN3 & regulation 612.3.1 state that when doing insulation resistance, the CPC/armour of swa MUST be connected to Earth.
Does anyone know why this is please?
I have just read this post and was so shocked I have had to put my Cider down and take a walk up the garden, I am in total shock to be honest, what on earth are they teaching you Kids these days, time to stick my head in a bucket of water, clearly the cider is making me confused lol

Reply to Why Earth before IR testing? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock