Discuss why not make all circuits radial? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

delano

-
Reaction score
Why in the UK are we so fixated with ring circuits. I know decades ago it was decided to use the ring system as it was deemed to be cheaper but surely that can't be the case now.

Nothing stopping you making all circuits radial :)

We like to struggle with getting two lots of solid core cable to lay flat in a metal backbox....It's the British way, this desire to make things as awkward as possible. Some even go one further, and install shallow 25mm boxes.
Why do you think so many electricians don't like Wagos? You can hear many of them now...."It just pushes in? Safely and securely? With no need for a screwdriver? Preposterous!! RELEASE THE HOUNDS!"

We like to struggle with getting two lots of solid core cable to lay flat in a metal backbox....It's the British way, this desire to make things as awkward as possible. Some even go one further, and install shallow 25mm boxes.
Why do you think so many electricians don't like Wagos? You can hear many of them now...."It just pushes in? Safely and securely? With no need for a screwdriver? Preposterous!! RELEASE THE HOUNDS!"

well.................its only one socket on a radial that doesn't have '2 lots of solid core cable going into it' though when you think about it surely lol

Come on guys its the ring-main that stops DIY'ers been qualified if we went to radials it would bring on the 3day rule of thumb wonder course to be an Electrical Domestic Technician :icon13:

can do all required testing without leaving consumer unit and going looking for last point.
20amps for a 2.5radial is sometimes not enough (4800watts) = kettle + toaster + washing machine in the kitechen at same time and the thing will trip.

quite a useful invention :)

There are pros and coins but when the 18th comes out it will allow for the ring but advise new to be radial why ? To line us up with Europe but it will be like the official voltage is 230v but we all know its 240+

As an niceic inspector said to me a few years ago "most sparks are wiring in 4mm twin radials",not really something that i was planning on changing over too.

hahaha - yes, much better to faff around with traditional JB - dressing conductors to different lengths and fiddling with screw terminals - while balanced on a joist in a loft - RELEASE THE HOUNDS indeed ! Lol

As an niceic inspector said to me a few years ago "most sparks are wiring in 4mm twin radials",not really something that i was planning on changing over too.

Especially if you want to branch out from one of those sockets to feed a couple more sockets. Most modern single/double socket outlets don't like 3 X 4mm cables up em!! lol!!

There are pros and coins but when the 18th comes out it will allow for the ring but advise new to be radial why ? To line us up with Europe but it will be like the official voltage is 230v but we all know its 240+

I might be wrong here, but if we line up with the Frogs, there'll be no more T&E!

I might be happy running a rfc in a kitchen / utility area but its a complete waste running a rfc up a couple of floors to feed a couple of bedroom skts.

Far better to apply the appropriate design for the loading expected.

Why in the UK are we so fixated with ring circuits. I know decades ago it was decided to use the ring system as it was deemed to be cheaper but surely that can't be the case now.

How about a more relevant question. Why in the UK, do we allow under qualified, ill trained, inexperienced people into peoples homes to carry out electrical work that they don't fully understand??

This is turning into another well discussed thread

No problem with that,but it would be nice if the op was to give an opinion as to why he asked, and then come back what is his opinion on the merits of both some time soon

Reply to why not make all circuits radial? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net