Discuss Why so big a difference in price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Not too sure why there is so much negativity towards this thread. Seems to me its a bit like taking my car to get serviced at BMW, being charged a ridiculous amount for some apprentice to do the work and maybe make a hash of it. Where as I take it to my local garage who has many years in the trade, is well respected and does a decent job for half the price. Does that make him a bad mechanic? Not qualified or certified?

I paid the bloke cash, he runs his own business just himself, had a smart van with professional artwork on the side and fully registered.

The kitchen fitter recommend him and said he has worked on many building sites with him. I should think ÂŁ460 for 10 hours work is a decent rate, minus the cabling and downlights he's easy made at least ÂŁ350. ÂŁ35 an hour seems reasonable for an electrician, or is ÂŁ70 or ÂŁ110 a more reasonable rate like the other chancers?
it's all relative to overheads and other costs. you could have had pimlico or britsh grasp quote.that would have been double the highest quote you've had

Not too sure why there is so much negativity towards this thread. Seems to me its a bit like taking my car to get serviced at BMW, being charged a ridiculous amount for some apprentice to do the work and maybe make a hash of it. Where as I take it to my local garage who has many years in the trade, is well respected and does a decent job for half the price. Does that make him a bad mechanic? Not qualified or certified?
you go to a main agent.e.g. bmw, and you are paying for receptionists, telephonists, paper shufflers, money shufflers, huge premises with mega buck business rates, and finally the mechanic's wages. you local independent has far less costs, s can be more competitive.

Was it the same price if you gave him a cheque? I think most priced jobs are a bit of a gamble, if you can get in and out quick you can afford to be cheap, if you have a mare and are in there a few days you end up out of pocket. For a layman two jobs can look the same but may not be to the same (or any) standards irrespective of certification or how well a van is sign written. The NICEIC registered electricians who rewired the last house I worked on thought it acceptable to twist singles together and shove them in a rubber glove in the wall. They had lovely van and give him a proper certificate. Wouldn't let them within a mile of my house though

If your happy with the work then it looks like you got an extremely good deal. For what it's worth, from your description of works, I would of been around the higher end of the quotes you received. There are plenty of good electricians who start out in business and don't last very long. They either price to low so when something unexpected happens they loose money or they are so cheap they are rushed of their feet, not making much money and generally being busy fools. Sounds like you got an absolute deal if the standard of work is good.

Just another windup me thinks.... One of where do you wire the nest thing up to lot or the can I use American cable guy.

I filled the van up at Tesco today price was ÂŁ1.299 per litre however Morrisons was ÂŁ1.289 and one bp in the centre of town was ÂŁ1.309 and the bp chanser on the main A road was ÂŁ1.349

Thanks for the replies, the work consisted of:

-Move a couple of light switch down 10 cm.
-Move power socket behind unit for dish washer.
-Make new socket for extractor fan.
-Make new socket for washing machine in the utility.
-Replace all sockets and switch faces (I have bought already)
-Place 6 down lights in the celling. (basic white - supply and fit)
-Upgrade cooker as 16A required
-Wiring in under cupboard and plinth lighting (not supply)

Took him one whole day for first fix and a few hours for second, I'd say 10 hours in total.

Was there any additional work to your list ? Earthing and bonding was all in place and suitable ? consumer unit needed no adaptions or upgrades, specifically RCDs for the altered circuits ? Any making good of chases ?

The fitter sorted out all the chases, but both other electricians expected him to do that, it seems these are jobs electricians don’t like or think they have to do?

Are you guys saying ÂŁ35 an hour is cheap for an electrician?

Reply to Why so big a difference in price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock