Discuss Why so big a difference in price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I disagree, how is a domestic installer course which can be obtained in as little as 18 days on par with a time served electrician? Do they have simply a different knowledge base? I don't rank them n the same level at all
wow... that sounds very stuck-up...
I suppose it's everyone to their own opinion.
How about just thinking that they are electricians, but just at a different knowledge base to you...

I would say An electrician is a competent time served, qualified perso. I do not rank an 18day course on par with a 4 year apprenticeship. The qualified electrician can still do domestic work as many Do and be an electrician but being solely qualified as a domestic installer is a different thing entirely .
Would you say an electrician is a person who does single phase and three phase then. The reason I ask this if you do only domestic refits or completely new and join a scheme and your now classed as designer and skilled amendment 3 ? Inteested to here your veiw

I disagree, how is a domestic installer course which can be obtained in as little as 18 days on par with a time served electrician? Do they have simply a different knowledge base? I don't rank them n the same level at all

I think you misread my post mate. I did not say they are 'on par with a time served electrician'.
What I said was "they are electricians, but just at a different knowledge base"

I have misunderstood you sorry

No worries mate.
No need to apologise, we all misread posts sometimes...

Domestic or apprenticeship trained, who cares, it is a domestic situation so even a Domestic spark should be able to carry out this minor work, it seems though as if the person doing the work is inexperienced, this is the problem, one- is he competant and two- did he drop a clanger with the price? lets hope it was two, because if it was one then god help the OP.

I think you misread my post mate. I did not say they are 'on par with a time served electrician'.
What I said was "they are electricians, but just at a different knowledge base"

Go on then, I'll be the awkward one that says "They are not electricians in the eyes of the JIB which is the unofficial standard by which the industry at large grades and employs workers. Just because the advent of part P encouraged the short course qualified worker enabled by the schemes does not mean that the traditional definition of electrician has been broadened or diluted"

Go on then, I'll be the awkward one that says "They are not electricians in the eyes of the JIB which is the unofficial standard by which the industry at large grades and employs workers. Just because the advent of part P encouraged the short course qualified worker enabled by the schemes does not mean that the traditional definition of electrician has been broadened or diluted"

Interesting... So you are suggesting you have to have a JIB card to be an electrician?
If that's the case then I don't have one..
How many people on here don't have one?

Interesting... So you are suggesting you have to have a JIB card to be an electrician?
If that's the case then I don't have one..
How many people on here don't have one?

No I'm not. There is no legal definition of "electrician".

I'm saying that the JIB only regard an electrician as having reached a certain educational standard.
I'm saying that most of the wider industry regard that JIB grading as their standard also.
I'm saying that the standard held by the JIB was also held by most employers and educational institutions until recent times.

I suppose everyone has their own interpretation of "electrician"..
I work in an office an as far as I know, no one in the office has a JIB card.. I class the electrical guys as "electricians" and the mechanical guys as 'metal bolters...'

I work in an office an as far as I know, no one in the office has a JIB card.. I class the electrical guys as "electricians" and the mechanical guys as 'metal bolters...'

Like I said, I'm not saying membership of the JIB defines an electrician, just that the standard held by the JIB to define an electrician is generally in line with the traditional industry definition of an electrician.

I think the most effective,thorough and complete job,is the one the OP has done on this thread.
Just looking, it seems there's been more time spent on it than doing the bleedin' job...:confused:

If you was working on the tools and wanted to work on say an Airport, Hospital, Industrial Water Treatment Site etc etc as an Electrician your be lucky to set foot on site with out one.

There's a big world out there apart from working around someones house and that where the JIB card plays its part.

If you was working on the tools and wanted to work on say an Airport, Hospital, Industrial Water Treatment Site etc etc as an Electrician your be lucky to set foot on site with out one.

There's a big world out there apart from working around someones house and that where the JIB card plays its part.

I know what you and Andy are getting at and I know you need a JIB card to get on certain sites.
I know there is a big world out there, you have to know this as well.... That's why we have electricians with different knowledge bases. (As I have mentioned before)... Again, at the end of the day "There is no legal definition of 'electrician'." everyone has their own opinion. Mine is more open minded..

Reply to Why so big a difference in price? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock