Discuss Why would my shower have 2 supplies in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Reaction score
Planning my consumer unit change ready for my assessment in a couple of weeks. Looking at the board - and note i've not investigated any further i seem to have 2 40amp CB's labelled Shower front and shower back. Both are rated 40amps. Now i only have one shower and i cant see there ever being a shower in the front of the house anyway so im not sure if the labelling Front and back refer to the actual location

Is there any reason why a shower with pull cord isolator would be wired with 2 supplies ?

I would investigate this as a matter of urgency before your assessment, switch 1 breaker off at a time to see whitchbreaker feeds your shower. Once this has been proven the find out where the other cable goes, has you House ever had two showers? Do you have a supply to an external building? could be someone in the past has used one of these supplies to feed a shed or Garage, just putting possibilities your way, let us know what you find please, sounds interesting.

I'd put money on one being a redundant shower feed. As Pete says a thorough investigation is the way forward, especially as a precursor to the board change and the impending assessment.
A nosey in the loft may also reveal hidden treasures in the form of disconnected shower supplies.

Switch it off and get them to contact you if something is no longer functioning.

The history of the build is. House built early 80's. Extension with electric shower and board change completed 2005. So 1 supply cable is white and 1 is grey as you would expect. Just looking for the paperwork for previous board change and will complete a full set of tests tomorrow to compare.

The history of the build is. House built early 80's. Extension with electric shower and board change completed 2005. So 1 supply cable is white and 1 is grey as you would expect. Just looking for the paperwork for previous board change and will complete a full set of tests tomorrow to compare.

Many people on this forum do this type of work most days and will often encounter this and more don't want to be rude but have to agree with above post if being assessed to join a scam/scheme what will you do if you pass and are in a customers house doing consumer unit upgrade.

Many people on this forum do this type of work most days and will often encounter this and more don't want to be rude but have to agree with above post if being assessed to join a scam/scheme what will you do if you pass and are in a customers house doing consumer unit upgrade.
Like I said earlier in thread, I will take a look as anyone would in this situation. Let's be honest technically any domestic electrical work or commercial for that matter isn't really that difficult. Working out what others have done in the past is

test both supplies, the one that has the worst test results, pop that behind the wall

no point over complicating this problem, shower needs 1 supply so use the best cable and disconnect the other 1

Well one thing is for sure, there is not two supplies to one shower or there had better not be!
a spare, incase master is in the shower we cannot risk a fault causing the shower to cut out, god forbid master should be exposed to cold air

I did a board change recently .... one breaker was labelled "garage"

but no garage........... 6mm cable

Couldn't identify what the cable did so left it disconnected ....... a few days later the customer rang me to say the rear flood light wasn't working ........ so a quick trip back and reconnected it.

Such jobs are a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle without a picture!

I did a board change recently .... one breaker was labelled "garage"

but no garage........... 6mm cable

Couldn't identify what the cable did so left it disconnected ....... a few days later the customer rang me to say the rear flood light wasn't working ........ so a quick trip back and reconnected it.

Such jobs are a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle without a picture!
but its like doing a jigsaw puzzle youre vaguely familiar with, you know how it should go together but its almost as if someone has mixed in duplo with the puzzle

Ok sorted, CB marked front shower (which there isnt one) actually routes to a junction box in the loft. This feeds a double socket in a bedroom having been stepped down to 2.5 - see attached

what a --- !

Why would my shower have 2 supplies 20180511_084615 - EletriciansForums.net

Ok sorted, CB marked front shower (which there isnt one) actually routes to a junction box in the loft. This feeds a double socket in a bedroom having been stepped down to 2.5 - see attached

what a --- !

View attachment 42164
Need to get those cable secured, and downgrade the OCPD, and mark the CU accordingly

Reply to Why would my shower have 2 supplies in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock