Discuss Wifi controlled FCU suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
A customer has a couple of storage heaters on an economy meter and wants to be able to control both (seperate timer FCUs for each heater). They ideally want wifi controlled FCUs, but there isn't much on the market and the reviews aren't great (I usually use timeguard standard timer FCUs).

Any suggestions because I don't want to keep getting phone calls that they can't connect with the wifi FCUs etc?

If the supplies are on economy 7 then they will switch off anyway outside of off peak period.

Fused spurs may also not be ideal dependant on the size of heater e.g. running a fuse near it's limit for long periods.
As they are radials, using basic wifi relays in conjunction with contactors at the front end may be a better option. You could use unrestricted supply for control circuit, switching the off peak circuits through the contactors. Then there would be no chance of them running outside of the off peak times.
Seems a lot of effort for little gain though.

If the supplies are on economy 7 then they will switch off anyway outside of off peak period.

Fused spurs may also not be ideal dependant on the size of heater e.g. running a fuse near it's limit for long periods.
As they are radials, using basic wifi relays in conjunction with contactors at the front end may be a better option. You could use unrestricted supply for control circuit, switching the off peak circuits through the contactors. Then there would be no chance of them running outside of the off peak times.
Seems a lot of effort for little gain though.

Thanks for the info. The heaters are already on FCUs, but I'm replacing the consumer units and the customer wants the heaters taken off the economy 7 meter and to have them on timers so they can have them on during the day when they want (no central heating in the property).

Thanks again

Reply to Wifi controlled FCU suggestions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net