Discuss Wifi switch in need of neutral wire - advice on current setup in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi.

In my lounge, I have 3 single gang switches which control a ring of GU10 downlights. I would like to substitute one the switches for a smart home switch, so that I can turn the lights on and off using a phone app. The model I am interested in is the wifiplug glass +. The literature states that in order for the light switch to remain connected to the wifi, it needs a neutral wire in order to have a constant supply of power. The example wiring diagram from the wifiplug website is shown below.

Wifi switch in need of neutral wire  - advice on current setup {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I have put together a picture to illustrate how the wiring appears to be connected between the three switches. In general it appears to match the diagram from www.lightwiring.co.uk, with the exception that there is no ceiling rose, and the light ring (cables A and B) neutral connections (6,7,8) are contained within the primary light switch back-box. There is also 3 live wires connected to the L1 terminal on the primary light switch, which is the light ring pass through connections (3,4) and the L1 to L2 connection for the second light switch.

Wifi switch in need of neutral wire  - advice on current setup {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

My question is pretty simply.
Is it possible to use one of these wifi plug glass+ switches in place of one of the manual switches?
Does the existing setup provide the neutral wire to provide a constant current to the switch?
If the current setup doesn't provide a neutral wire, is there anyway in modifying the current setup to allow for this?

I am not a qualified electrician by any means, and whilst I've learnt quite a lot recently from reading up on the web, some qualified advice would be most welcome regarding these compatibility issues.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a neutral in the back box then you should be good to go. Follow the first diagram and forget the diagram showing rose fed lighting.

My advise and experience tells me you should get someone in to do this for you. These device are very sensitive and if wired up wrong the first time can break very easily.

Reply to Wifi switch in need of neutral wire - advice on current setup in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock