Discuss Wikipedia donations............... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I often use Wikipedia, to make myself appear knowledgeable on this & other forums. This ain't that bloke holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy; don't look like him.

Wikipedia donations............... {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Dear Midwest,

I'm feeling the pressure. Millions of people across the world read Wikipedia, but only 1% of readers give. We have so much work to do to protect Wikipedia's future, but this is my last chance to get you involved in 2018.

I'm asking you, sincerely: please take one minute to renew your £ donation to Wikipedia.

We are a nonprofit that supports one of the world’s top 10 most visited websites. Unlike the other Internet giants, we don’t generate revenue by selling off our users’ data to the highest bidder. We don’t run ads which could jeopardize the integrity and neutrality of our content. And even still, those commercial giants can and do reuse our content for free, without necessarily supporting the Knowledge Commons in return.

But we don’t begrudge them. As much as our nonprofit model is an obstacle to revenue generation, it is also a privilege. We get to go to work every day knowing we are contributing to building a better, more connected and collaborative world, and we are doing it in partnership with thousands of volunteer contributors, millions of small-dollar donors, and a much smaller proportion of people who choose to give more.

If everyone who uses Wikipedia gave today, we could keep it thriving for years to come.

We've remained an independent nonprofit to maintain that privilege. We don’t run ads or sell services to our readers. Though our size requires us to maintain the server space and programming power of a top site, we are sustained by the support of our donors who give an average of about £13. This year, will you take one minute to keep our work going?

Agree, Wikipedia isn't perfect but it's a great source of useful information. Chipped in last week.

I'm an editor on Wikipedia and I also donate but it's not a big amount.

I'd rather donate to something like Wikipedia than one of those charities that used to be a worthy cause but have more recently turned collecting donations into a high profit business model where the actual charity recieves only a small fraction of the money given.

Well I've learned 2 things , MARVO is an editor on it and that you can donate money.
I need to get out more and take a look around.

I'm an editor on Wikipedia and I also donate but it's not a big amount.

I'd rather donate to something like Wikipedia than one of those charities that used to be a worthy cause but have more recently turned collecting donations into a high profit business model where the actual charity recieves only a small fraction of the money given.
Wikipedia donations............... Screenshot 2018-12-18 at 22.49.55 - EletriciansForums.net

Lol, not sure what was incorrect about my grammar, I've got an excuse though because English is only my second language. Many days when I come on the forum in an evening it's the first time I've interacted in English that day so it sometimes takes me a while to adjust and get back into it.

Lol, not sure what was incorrect about my grammar, I've got an excuse though because English is only my second language. Many days when I come on the forum in an evening it's the first time I've interacted in English that day so it sometimes takes me a while to adjust and get back into it.
Nothing, you are the grammar police ;o)))))

Welllll, we used to say 'i' before 'e' except after 'c', but that's been disproved by science.:)

Reply to Wikipedia donations............... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock