Discuss Will I be covered for insurance ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all I've had a handyman fit some lights for me in a hotel. He's given me a minor works for them but I've just had an electrician tell me that I won't be covered if I showed them to my insurance company if something happened as he isn't registered but the certs are legit is this right or are they fine ?

If the handyman is electrically competent and has completed the paperwork correctly then this should not be a problem.
Because you have been issued with a minor electrical installation works certificate, this confirms that the work has been installed in accordance with the wiring regulations (BS7671) and this is what the installer is certifying.

There is no one with whom to be registered to provide any further surety.
So long as he had not installed a new circuit only modified an existing circuit then this is OK.

If the Handyman is self-employed and doing this work then as above but also ensure that he has insurance like public liability etc to cover any unfortunate accidents that can occur, this is the case for any contractor you bring into the hotel.

If the Handyman is self-employed and doing this work then as above but also ensure that he has insurance like public liability etc to cover any unfortunate accidents that can occur, this is the case for any contractor you bring into the hotel.

My next sentence depending on your answer, and good advice.

If he works for the hotel then you should make sure that he is competent to do the works that you expect of him.

He's given me a minor works for them but I've just had an electrician tell me that I won't be covered if I showed them to my insurance company if something happened as he isn't registered but the certs are legit is this right or are they fine ?

This other electrician may be getting mixed up with what is and what is not notifiable?? Or just pushing himself as a scheme member on a commercial business?

The only reason I could think of is if the insurance policy strictly requires membership of a scheme for contractors. I think this highly unlikely however.

Depends what your insurance policy says in the small print it could have something along the lines that if work is not carried out by a qualified tradesman then anything happens then you insurance could be null and void.

Reply to Will I be covered for insurance ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net