Discuss Will this work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rob-b

Hi everyone

I make Biodiesel and have just finished a processor, I now need to sort out electrics, I am ok with general electrics but when it comes down to relays and Pids I am lost. Can someone look at this wiring diagram and tell me if this set up will work.

Much appreciated.

PIDWIRE3.png

Hi Archy

this is the unit head on, The input I was thinking of a phone charger? I need minimum spark risk as the chemicals used are flamable. This is of course just in case of leakage, it is a sealed system, belt and braces and all that.

pid-1.jpg

The input I was thinking of a phone charger? I need minimum spark risk as the chemicals used are flammable. This is of course just in case of leakage, it is a sealed system, belt and braces and all that.

I take it you're just controlling the heater and the pump is manual?

If so, lose the relay for the pump and just keep the manual switch.
Was trying to find a cheap hazardous area switch with no luck.
Install all your control gear in an air tight box in a safe area.

Is the alarm output on the pid just a 'Normally Open or Closed' (NO or NC) switch, or (how to phrase this?) does it produce a voltage when in alarm? I suspect the former. The manual would be good, couldn't find one online.
If it's NO and closes when in alarm you'll need to switch your DC voltage supply (phone charger) through 6 & 7 on the PID to drive your heater relay, assuming the relay is NO when not energized.

I think that's about right, I find it hard to explain/be clear typing it out!

Hi Archy

scrap that last wiring and pid model, this is the actual pid, the other is the one I was originally looking at I have been doing mods to the diagram as a result, sorry, but have a bit more info.

pid-1.png

pid.jpg

Digital-Temperature-Controller_3.jpg

Digital-Temperature-Controller_2.jpg

Hi Archy

thanks for this, actually I have been spending a bit time redoing the diagram, the pid I posted is the wrong one, sorry. Here is the correct one and an updated digram and manual info. I posted this before but don't where it has gone.

pid.jpg

Digital-Temperature-Controller_2.jpg

Digital-Temperature-Controller_3.jpg

pid-1.png

Are the pump, float switch and heater Ex rated? If yes then OK. The neon’s can’t be mounted near either the pump or heater unless in an Ex enclosure. The control equipment should be mounted in a safe area away from the flammables. As Archy said do away with the relay for the pump and just use a switch.
Where do the lines go to that are marked 13A?

Where does the phone charger come in to it?

I'm not even going to comment in detail as I'll get shot down in flames.
I will only ask the OP how he is going to comply with statute law and the statute requirement to CE mark the system before it is used?
He is not going to be able to hide behind being a small back street outfit making biodiesel to sell now is he.

All the stuff is CE maked and will be in a sealed unit, this is purely precautionary, the sytem istelf is sealed that processes the Biodiesel. The 13A is to a fuse, forget the phone charger idea.

Thanks

I'm not even going to comment in detail as I'll get shot down in flames.

:66::):)

Loads are people are doing it and with the price diesel, I don't blame them, I would, and it's a good bit of recycling. If I hadn't got rid of my old Transit I'd be doing it myself.
So I say, good luck to the OP, and I for one will help him. (I assume it's for his own use). So he blows his garage up one day, what the hell.

I await shooting...:)

It makes your exhaust smell nice too.

for netblindpaul.

Well then don't if don't want to help or you've nowt constructive to say.

All of us are legally entitled to produce Biodiesel annually and all the components that make up the kit are CE marked, this is for my own use and not resale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob-b,
You did not say this was for your own use.
Your OP inferred production of bio-diesel, that is for sale.

In which case fill your boots.

One last thing, either ensure your house insurer does not find out, or get cover as they may not be keen if it is at home.

Rob-b,
You did not say this was for your own use.
Your OP inferred production of bio-diesel, that is for sale.

In which case fill your boots.

One last thing, either ensure your house insurer does not find out, or get cover as they may not be keen if it is at home.

Well, i've been doing this for 4 years and I'm still here, this is in a purpose built insulated shed outside and bunded. I take safety seriously that's why I am on here looking for the last bit of advice regards the electrics, everyone to their own.

I know everything there is to do with Biodiesel production, you don't, however I don't know everything to do with electrics, you do (presumably). If you want advice about making Biodiesel I will give it willingly however it would be nice if the favour was reciprocated.

:66::):)

Loads are people are doing it and with the price diesel, I don't blame them, I would, and it's a good bit of recycling. If I hadn't got rid of my old Transit I'd be doing it myself.
So I say, good luck to the OP, and I for one will help him. (I assume it's for his own use). So he blows his garage up one day, what the hell.

I await shooting...:)

It makes your exhaust smell nice too.

Thank you Archy and will help if you ever want to.

I have tried to redo the post and upload a different PID, the first one on here is the one I looked at first but didn't get. This means I had to redo the wiring diagram and there is a manual.

I will try again for you to look at.

Thanks

Rob

Reply to Will this work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net