Discuss Wind load calculations in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lincs1sparky

Hi,

Does anyone use any software for wind load calculations. If so how do you use the information to ensure the additional wind load is ok for the structure. I have seen other people use structural engineers but does anyone do it themselves and how.
It is ok to say a building (domestic) of standard construction without any obvious defects will be ok to withstand the additiona loading?

Many thanks for anyones help.

lincs1sparky.

@lincs1sparky

We use a scructural engineeer on EVERY job.

Wind loads (and uplift) vary by wind speed, location, orientation, pitch, positioning of panels etc. So we have full calcs done on every job regardless.

Could you be more specific as to the calculations that the "structural engineers" do. (I am not afraid of the maths)
I was looking at the Schucco mounting system and was very confused as to which column of which table to use. I do understand that account has to be taken of wind and snow loads but I have not yet got a number for these factors.
the example House I want to use is Sussex on the coast with 55 pitch roof

could anyone give any guidance to finding the loading info

@waterleat

Stress Analysis, Moments of Inertia and Deflection Analysis. - If you don't understand the middle term, don't even start. Structural Engineers also carry professional indemnity so bear that in mind when you're thinking about doing your own calcs.

In the same way that I wouldn't expect a structural engineer to know all the rules about earthing, RCD, MCB's, PME etc etc the chances of someone who isn't a structural engineer being able to understand the issues about live loads, dead loads is the same - I presume that you do if you are going to attempt the maths.

It takes a structural engineer three - four years at university doing seriously complicated math and 4 years post graduate experience to become qualified ...

In the same way that a good electrician knows BS7671 comprehensively, a structural engineer will know exactly which part of BS6399 is relevant and the wind loadings / uplift for Solar PV from the BRE Digest 489, and then of course you need to know how to apply those figures ...

@Worcester

Thank you for your information about the complexities regarding structural analysis. I had done the maths before when at university but that was way back then.
It seems like you company is large enough to employ structural engineers and designers and installers and the boss, but small setups have to still do the same amount of work but by only one person. I presume that "Lincs1Sparky" and myself are one-man-bands and are wanting to provide a quality service. As lincs1sparky says and I suspect most say also, but with it in the contract that the owner gets his own survey
It is ok to say a building (domestic) of standard construction without any obvious defects will be ok to withstand the additiona loading?
You mention BRE 489 - I do object to paying £15 for 8 pages, now that is means 4 pieces of A4 paper GRRRR!! even more if you go for the pdf download. Is it WORTH THE MONEY?

You should have a copy of BRE 489 anyway, as per the requirements of the schemes to be awarded with your MCS.

@Worcester

Thank you for your information about the complexities regarding structural analysis. I had done the maths before when at university but that was way back then.
It seems like you company is large enough to employ structural engineers and designers and installers and the boss, but small setups have to still do the same amount of work but by only one person. I presume that "Lincs1Sparky" and myself are one-man-bands and are wanting to provide a quality service. As lincs1sparky says and I suspect most say also, but with it in the contract that the owner gets his own survey
You mention BRE 489 - I do object to paying £15 for 8 pages, now that is means 4 pieces of A4 paper GRRRR!! even more if you go for the pdf download. Is it WORTH THE MONEY?

Yep is worth the money after all its a couple of beers and a packet of crisps LOL

Hi,

I am Bryan from BMG Surveys Ltd. I carry our Wind Loading Checks for Solar PV installers.

I produce reports from the information you supply and normally turn them around within 24 hours.

If you wish me to forward you a copy of a report please contact me at [email protected]

thanks,

Bryan.

Hi everyone,

How much on average is it to get a structural engineer to produce a report? I would like to purchase a copy of the BRE 489 as at the moment i only have an electronic link, where can i get one from?

Thanks,
Ryan.

@Worcester

Having read the above I was pleased to read that as a company you feel it is necessary to provide structural calculations for EVERY installation. I think my first question is do you have internal structural engineers or is it outsourced and if outsourced what is the approximate cost and/or time implication and process of being able to provide this for EVERY job.
I am well aware that there are a lot of companies that do not do this and this comes down to resources and the cost that would have to be applied to the quotations to cover it. I have seen a variety of structural reports supporting the application of solar pv panels to a roof that have been anything from a single sheet to the bible'. Do you simply hold the structural calculations on the customer file or do you supply the customer with these? Do you submit to building control for every job.
Any advice/assistance and past experience you can share would be much appreciated. As a solar company in a growing industry, we simply want to do the best we can for the customer and cut no corners.

Thanks

Hi,

We carry out the checks ourselves. A report for each install is produced and from past experience with these things it is given to the customer as part of thier hand over pack. This means that when they come to sell thier house or if the local authority as for confirmation that the roofs can withstand the imposed loads, the customer can forward a copy of their report.

I can email a copy of a report to anyone who wishes for a look. To produce the report the installer/designer completes a simple information form and returns it by email. All the usual information like building size, height to eaves, hights to ridge etc is required. i can forward a blank information sheet also if required.

The calcutlation and justifcations are all included within the report. Its around 8 pages long and if required I can calculate the snow loadings also.

The cost for each report is £65 and they can normally be turned around in 24 hours depending on work load. The reports satisfy all parties and as far as I am aware i am the cheapest provider of this service.

I have also in the past carried out reports for Housing associations for housing estates. Providing they are all the same house type.
The cost for this sevice will vary depending on the number of different housetypes.

If you wish a copy of a report please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Bryan McGrory

Thanks for help so far. We used Brewsters for a while but found them difficult to work with and they begun asking for more and more info making it difficult for us to provide.

Is nobody aware of any software at all that can be used? We do in fact have an internal structural engineer but he is new to solar and we are in the process of implementing new processes and procedures and at present it is taking up to 3 hours to do a customers calculations when we need to be able to do at least something basic and quick initially to establish suitability of a roof without incurring too much cost. We offer full structural surveys and calculations at an additional cost but this is not always required in this level of detail as far as I am aware.

Thoughts appreciated...

Hi,

I have replied before. BMG Surveys Ltd. can carry out the wind loading checks and provide a report for each project. The report is around 8 pages lond and provides justification and calculations. In addition to this i can also provide snow loadings.

I can produce a report from the information provided by yourselves. I can forward a copy of an example report and information request form if you wish. my email address is [email protected].

Each survey report costs £65.

As far as I am aware I am the cheapest provider of this service. I have been an engineer for 15 years I am based in Glasgow. I am currently carrying out these reports for various solar pv installers/designers.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Bryan McGrory
BMG Surveys

I emailed you a few minutes ago, if you could please send examples etc to me that would be much appreciated.

Dynamic pressure is worked out from BS3369-Part 2 but pressure coefficient for each roof wind area has to be taken from the BRE 489 document. After that, it becomes a static exercise. And structural engineer will be required anyway in order to ensure that the roof will be able to withstand the roof extra loads

Reply to Wind load calculations in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock