Discuss Wind turbine in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Peeps,
Advice please.
A customer has a 10kw wind turbine, this is configured as split phase.

He's had to install 3 phase but the company that put the turbine in only installed a 3 core swa to the turbine, whoops.
This normally would be ok but the control gear requires a neutral.
The plan was to install a single core swa and put it in the same trench as the existing swa.
Spoke with the niceic and they say its a complete no.
Can any of you guys see why this is this case?
regards
Paul
ps hope i have made sense.

Hello Peeps,
Advice please.
A customer has a 10kw wind turbine, this is configured as split phase.

He's had to install 3 phase but the company that put the turbine in only installed a 3 core swa to the turbine, whoops.
This normally would be ok but the control gear requires a neutral.
The plan was to install a single core swa and put it in the same trench as the existing swa.
Spoke with the niceic and they say its a complete no.
Can any of you guys see why this is this case?
regards
Paul
ps hope i have made sense.
What reason did the NICEIC give? if it was up to me I would get the dipsticks who installed the turbine and the cable back to do it right at their expense, or was a 3 core specified at the outset.

to be truthful i am not sure who specified 3 core?
The niceic have quoted parallel conductors from the regs but i cant see anything in there about this.. My mate has been dealing with them and i haven't spoke with him propley about this, just got a text off him.
I personally cant see a problem so long as there in the same trench.
All hv cables are singles.

to be truthful i am not sure who specified 3 core?
The niceic have quoted parallel conductors from the regs but i cant see anything in there about this.. My mate has been dealing with them and i haven't spoke with him propley about this, just got a text off him.
I personally cant see a problem so long as there in the same trench.
All hv cables are singles.
No they aren't

Maybe they are using 521.8
Each part of a circuit shall be arranged such that the conductors are not distributed over different multi core cables

What about installing a isolating transformer and make your own neutral

Reply to Wind turbine in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net