Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Window Switch issue Ford F250 in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Dylan Dove

Dylan Dove New EF Member

I just bought a 1986 Ford F250 and the passenger side window doesn't roll down. I took off the door panel and jumped the motor and the window is able to go up and down. When I got the window down, I noticed that without me doing anything, and everything wired up normally, that the window was able to be rolled up.

The window switch has 5 wires going to it. 2 red, 2 yellow, and a blue. I noticed that if I run a ground from the bottom yellow wire to the door I can operate the window down. However, when I have it wired like this, when I try and roll the window up, it cannot roll up. If I remove the ground jump, I can roll the window up. The jump cable gets very hot and sparks when it is connected and I try and roll the window up. What do you guys think this is?

2. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

Hi,

I believe this is the wiring diagram for your car. (Although for LHD so sides will be reversed)
    https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/15155/original.gif

Looks like your blue wire is +12v and then you have yellow/black and red/black which are the open and close wires coming from the drivers door switch. And then 2 wires to the motor.

When operating the drivers door switch, one wire will be at +12v and the other grounded. When not using the drivers door switch, both will be grounded and the passenger door will switch 1 side or the other to the blue 12v.

So it looks like the fault lies in the drivers door switch, or the wiring between the 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

I agree , it is not reversing the polarity.

4. Dylan Dove

Dylan Dove New EF Member

Awesome, thanks guys!