Discuss windows media player letting me down,,,,,, in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Your computer should auto update the drivers for media when required? Is it a region specific DVD?

Maybe try another media program like VLC or something?

i let somone try fix it and ended up with xp (was vista) dont know whats been deleted.. have you got a link to download and isit free?? cheers

i let somone try fix it and ended up with xp (was vista) dont know whats been deleted.. have you got a link to download and isit free?? cheers

It could be that a new update is needed on XP. I remember er having issues with SP2, then I upgraded to Vista. Now I'm on windows 7, a big leap forward.

I use VLC for playing all my media as it does play most formats, even incomplete broken AVI files.

good move getting rid of vista. it's too memory hungry. my laptop had 1 gig. ram, and vista was using 65% of it, leaving me with 350meg. had to add 2gig. ram just to get the sod going.

KMPlayer is better at handling its resources than VLC. I highly rate KMPlayer especially for hi definition (1080p) and mkv container files / x264 codec stuff. Give it a whirl, it's free. KMPlayer. Alternative site.

Getting rid of Vista would be a great idea as well. I have Windows7 on one of my home pc's and on one of my development machines, it's nimble compared to Vista and has been stable so far.

Last edited:
I find the best way is to pack your PC back into the box it came in, tape it up, and then take it back to the shop to swap for a Mac ;)

Seriously though, VLC is an amazing program and I have been using it on Mac and Bootcamp for the last 8 years and it plays everything. Never used KMPlayer so can't comment on that.

vlc worked thanks, had vista now xp home , dont have back up disc, can i still upgrade to something better.. cheers and merry chrimbo duddes

No probs buddy, Yes you can upgrade so long as your system can take the extras required for new operating system, it can be a pain tho upgrading all your drivers etc....so if ya can live with XP then do so it aint worth the hassle upgrading sometimes.

Glad to hear VLC worked and here's another vote for it. KMPlayer is also great, I have it on my Linux machine (my main desktop) and also on my Samsung NC10 Netbook (both run Mepis Linux). Agreed that the Codec packs (you can generally download them from t'internet) will help you out with DVD playback in Windows Media Player. Often downloading the latest version of Windows Media Player can also help.

I'm not a big fan of codec packs, they can cause problems and big ones at that when a clash occurs. Both VLC and KMPlayer come with native codecs (built-in) but Windoze Media Player doesn't for many of the common file formats. The only reason I could justify using WMP would be for it's library abilities, for general playing of media files the other two programs are better.
vlc worked thanks, had vista now xp home , dont have back up disc, can i still upgrade to something better.. cheers and merry chrimbo duddes
It's far better to make a clean install on a clean partition. If you perform an upgrade installation you can inherit problems from the original os installation, upgrades tend to be less stable. Depending what you use your computer for, you'll probably need to bite the bullet and go to windows 7 at some stage in the forseeable future.

kmplayer handles it's hardware resources far better than vlc. The difference becomes far more noticeable when you're playing 20gig plus mkv containered files at full 1080p. I use an intel i5 with 4gigs of ddr3 ram and a 1gig graphics card as a media machine and even that seems a little shy in the pants when I use VLC for hi-def playback. If for some reason you're not keen on kmplayer then you could also try media player classic which is a lot simpler than km. If you're looking for a media library app the you could try media monkey.

Reply to windows media player letting me down,,,,,, in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock