Discuss Winter Tyres - are they worth having in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on having winter tyres - being in the south it hardly seems worth while ............ even the "beast from the east" only managed a light sprinkle!

Thanks

Seems like you have answered your own question there then.

I've got through all the winters in Northern Ireland without them. FWD van maybe helps, but everyone I know with RWD vans got through them as well.

Standard tyres aren’t as effective at low temperatures and loose some frictional characteristics, winter tyres are a softer compound and maintain better grip.

Modern tyres are a lot more forgiving and tend to operate better during all seasons as opposed to twenty years ago.

It all boils down to the amount and type of driving you do.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on having winter tyres - being in the south it hardly seems worth while ............ even the "beast from the east" only managed a light sprinkle!

Thanks
I have then on my shogun and will use them in the summer as well, it makes the car look better even if the fuel gets drunk quicker, go for it IMO.

I've got through all the winters in Northern Ireland without them. FWD van maybe helps, but everyone I know with RWD vans got through them as well.
Your vans in NI are basically troop carriers though

I ran them on the Lotus they make a difference and have a set on the Subaru which I didn't take off in the summer as to be honest I prefer running a second set of wheels and just swap them over.

The Dunlop All Season tyres are meant to be good so worth looking into.

I’ve got cheapies think they might be nexen? They ain’t winter tyres When they were brand new they got me a whole load of places in my wee caddy that big 4x4s couldn’t get to and when I got stuck or encountered a big hill I broke out the 10.99 snow chains from LIDL but now they are a little worn they are great fun in the wet :rolleyes: only one day I didn’t make it out because they didn’t clear my street... and yeah that’s a ton bag of gravel in the driveway that’s how deep the snow drifts were in March

Winter Tyres - are they worth having 8CF30F47-EC96-4819-8F61-ADC71B8D2EA5 - EletriciansForums.net

Winter Tyres - are they worth having 48C467D6-1F78-4A47-94CD-2E9919C07C61 - EletriciansForums.net

It's all the rest that don't have winter tyres that you have to worry about as they'll be the ones blocking the roads. I did buy some for my NV 200 but the front end is so light when the back is normally loaded that I wheel spin when pulling away in the wet! I may need to shift all my stock cable into the footwell of the cab OR stay home and keep dry (self employed I can do what I want !)

Never had any bother with vans until the start of this year. Got stuck in Antrim in a RWD toyota. Crossed my mind that maybe I should have winter tyres, but realistically I just shouldn't have pulled into the snow covered lay by to have a coffee

Only problem with fitting Winter tyres on them VW's,is they collect small stones,and scratch the deck of the tilt & slide...as they are winched on...;););)
At least you can watch on with a sense of pride as the best looking vans get taken away for repair:rolleyes: could make good advertising too if it’s signwritten cause it’s head and shoulders above the rest;)

mind you winter tyres are "supposed" to be much better in just colder conditions .....................
I think to be fair there is some truth in that I used to have a navara before the chassis turned to cheese and it was like night and day with winter tyres even cold and rainy days you could tell the difference it liked to get it’s tail end out with any sign of moisture on the road on any sort of curve around 15mph bloody good fun though :D

Just get an old Patrol TD6,with a set of BF TKo's ...it does 10 mph on a sunny motorway...and 10mph up Winter hill in the snow...very consistent ;)

But 70mph down the snowy hill sideways with not a care in the world

Went to a wedding in Inverness,last November,and came a mile and a half,down a hill in virgin snow,as an un-guided missile,with the kerbs on both sides,acting like those "bumpers" you stick down a bowling lane,when kids are having a go...

...It may have been my favourite moment of the trip :rolleyes:

Reply to Winter Tyres - are they worth having in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock