Discuss Winter Tyres - are they worth having in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Went to a wedding in Inverness,last November,and came a mile and a half,down a hill in virgin snow,as an un-guided missile,with the kerbs on both sides,acting like those "bumpers" you stick down a bowling lane,when kids are having a go...

...It may have been my favourite moment of the trip :rolleyes:
So that was you :eek:

Typical Irish

_42675541_uncontrolledexplosion_new.jpg

As long as you've got good quality tyres with plenty of tread I don't think it's worth buying winter tyres.
Standard tyres in winter go hard and lose grip, the compound in winter tyres stays more malleable when the temperature drops, winter tyres also usually run a slimmer profile and are taller to cut through the snow, the thing is it not just the snow but its when it snows, thaws turns to ice then snows again, there is nothing worse then driving on snow with an inch of ice laying underneath.

You also don't run standard winter tyres in summer as you'll just wear them out.

Have run winters for 5 years, prior to that i used chains on summer tyres. Basically i cannot get off my drive if there is even an inch of snow. I have 4 new Michelin Alpin waiting for the bad weather. They are a huge huge improvement in all aspects of control. No brainer, if you need your vehicle to make a living and it snows where you live.

Have run winters for 5 years, prior to that i used chains on summer tyres. Basically i cannot get off my drive if there is even an inch of snow. I have 4 new Michelin Alpin waiting for the bad weather. They are a huge huge improvement in all aspects of control. No brainer, if you need your vehicle to make a living and it snows where you live.
Where do you use chains as they are restricted and should not be used unless in the mountains and with dire weather.

I dont have winter tyres on the RR and nothing stops it.
obviously they are superb off road, however get your head out of your arse and look in your owners manual, they recommend winter tyres if you use your car in 4 wheel drive 4LLC which is the winter gears recommended for snow and ice, obviously summer tyres will do the job but why use summer tyres in the winter if the winter is bad? PS, you can take the boy out of essex but cannot take essex out of the boy :D

Where do you use chains as they are restricted and should not be used unless in the mountains and with dire weather.
To get out of the village, yes its mountainous and the weather is dire, basically i have them from skiing trips, nothing stops chains, you do need full snow cover as they are tricky on tarmac... lol

Do you guys that use the winters have them on another set of rims so it’s just a matter of jacking up and swapping over?

Reply to Winter Tyres - are they worth having in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net