Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss wire single socket off garage feed in kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Lee Mason

Lee Mason EF Member

Hi there,

in my kitchen (well dining room but its open plan, may have part p implications) where i want to put my tumble dryer there is a blanking/access plate (single) which contains a 2.5 te cable connected to the amoured cable via a block which feeds the garage breaker radial circuit and lights.

This 2.5 te cable is fed from the cu on a 16 breaker and the cu is a dual rcd unit (new build house 2015).

my question is can i change the blanking plate for a single socket and feed the tumble dryer from this socket?

i know dryers can be hungry so whats the implications of this?

and if i can do it, can i do it myself? its just connecting a faceplate but unsure if this falls under part p or not?

2. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

Get an electrician, and joining SWA like that sounds like a bit of a bodge in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Madocks

Madocks Regular EF Member

Sounds a mess, T&E connecting into SWA and then your going to attatch a socket into the block.

Best bet is to call someone out mate, I would leave that circuit for the garage alone. Its on a 16A mcb so the tumble dryer would be using a large chunk of that.... so your garage becomes next to useless whilst your drying clothes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    I wouldn't the circuit is designated for the purpose of feeding the garage.And as the reason given above.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

As above. And above that.

6. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

Agree with other posts that the SWA sounds like a bit of a hash in all honesty, not surprised as i see the house was built in 2015, so many new builds are put up in quick time and the quality of workmanship is often awful. People look at the cosmetic things when buying a new house but what is under the floor or in the wall is often barely compliant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

Most new houses now use this method to feed a garage.

8. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

The others are talking rubbish. Nothing wrong at all with a 2.5mm radial in T/E joined to a properly terminated SWA in a flush metal box. There is no reason why you cant change the blank plate for a single socket and terminate both conductors in the socket. You can do that yourself if you are competent to do so,and the load in the garage along with the dryer will not exceed 16a. However it will require testing in accordance with the regulations which is likely beyond your capability. Potentially it would be worthwhile increasing the mcb to 20a. It would then be a 20a radial, a standard circuit, but that must be carried out by a qualified electrician. Probably an hour to an hour and a half labour to fit the socket,test and change the mcb to a 20a along with a cert. Money well spent so you know it's safe and compliant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 7:50 PM
  9. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Depends on what he's using in the garage. The tumble dryer is taking a fair amount of current already.

10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    around 10A, so he's not got a lot left.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

It should be possible to increase the MCB to 20a, which still leaves a fair bit for the average garage. If it's just a light and socket for general use then the 16a mcb will likely be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2