Discuss Wired Smoke Alarms Query! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TroubledStart

Hello all,

A long time lurker but only recently registered here. I decided to take it upon myself to replace 2 wired smoke alarms in the house today but have came to a stand still in terms of which colour wires go where and was looking to pick somebodies brains amongst these forums! Its all these new colour coding of wires that have changed over the years which have confused me!

In my downstairs passage we have a smoke alarm with 3 wires as seen in the picture below:

Wired Smoke Alarms Query! ima - EletriciansForums.net

Which wire coming from the ceiling would go to which of the new coloured wires?

The second smoke alarm upstairs is a little more tricky as there are 5 wires coming from the old smoke alarm therefore 2 will go into teach of the connectors for the new 3 wires, however which 2 wires go to each single new wire?

Wired Smoke Alarms Query! image(1) - EletriciansForums.net

As you can see iv put the 2 reds together, theres 1 yellow, 1 darkblue/black and 1 yellow! Im assuming one is to connect the one downstairs to the upstairs one!

I really would appreciate some sort of guidance as to where which wire connects to the new wire in the junction box!
Thanks in advance! i honestly would be so grateful!

OK mate,

1st isolate so you are not at risk.

upstairs

2 reds = brown connected to them
black and blue = blue connect to them
yellow on its own = white connected to it

downstairs
red = brown connected to it
blue = blue connect to it
yellow = white connected to it

Troubledstart

just get somone in to do it, if you connect them up incorrectly they may pop, or never work properly, no one can EVER tell you from a picture what the setup is with a few wires.

The point being the only way to know if, for example, the red cores are in fact 'line', the blues/blacks are neutral, and so on is proof, with a meter. Thats the only way!

not having a go just trying to explain why even thesimplest of jobs can become life threatening if not done properly and without the correct test equipment / knowledge.

hope that helps....:banghead:

OK mate,

1st isolate so you are not at risk.

upstairs

2 reds = brown connected to them
black and blue = blue connect to them
yellow on its own = white connected to it

downstairs
red = brown connected to it
blue = blue connect to it
yellow = white connected to it

Thank you so much Sparkie30, it worked! really appreciate it mate!

Troubledstart

just get somone in to do it, if you connect them up incorrectly they may pop, or never work properly, no one can EVER tell you from a picture what the setup is with a few wires.

The point being the only way to know if, for example, the red cores are in fact 'line', the blues/blacks are neutral, and so on is proof, with a meter. Thats the only way!

not having a go just trying to explain why even thesimplest of jobs can become life threatening if not done properly and without the correct test equipment / knowledge.

hope that helps....:banghead:

I fully understand mate but its only a simple bit of wiring advice, you know if the only advice we could give here was to get an electrician in to do it then there would be no need for such advice/help sections!

But i do understand what youre saying but thankfully, sparkie30's post helped and worked!

Thanks guys!

More trial and error then. People only seem to learn when something goes wrong, costing either money or health.

I fully understand mate but its only a simple bit of wiring advice, you know if the only advice we could give here was to get an electrician in to do it then there would be no need for such advice/help sections!

But i do understand what youre saying but thankfully, sparkie30's post helped and worked!

Thanks guys!

You're lucky.

I have recently fitted three smoke and two heat alarms to my mates house - all of them interlinked, all with battery back up, all bought (against my advice) off e-bay from different sellers, all made by different manufacturers and all supplied with different coloured wires to each other !! :32::banghead:

All-in-all a complete and utter ball ache!!

Thanks guys!

Hi - well glad it works, but my point stands, how do you know absolutely that it is connected correctly? Because it works....?

anyway I hope it is connected correctly. Cheers.

test it/them with smoke
corrigated cardboards smoudeing is good or proper aerosol gas from an electrical place

Reply to Wired Smoke Alarms Query! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock