Discuss Wireless Programmer Advice in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

My mates just been on, his combi boiler isn't working with the timer so he's asked me to install a separate unit.

First of all is this even possible, and second can anyone recommend a budget programmer that would do it. Think it would need to be wireless programmer unit with a receiver at the boiler. I was having a look at a Salus model for £35 but think they are single channel? I'd need 2 channels I think

Sorry, it's a combi boiler doh, so I'm right in thinking I only need a single channel (for the heating) as the hot water will come on automatically when water it called for by the tap?

Sorry, it's a combi boiler doh, so I'm right in thinking I only need a single channel (for the heating) as the hot water will come on automatically when water it called for by the tap?

You only need a single channel bucause combis are instant water heaters.
Plumb center have their own brand and works perfect
Center Programmable Room Thermostat EHE0200361 | Plumb Center - http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/center-radio-frequency-programmable-room-thermostat/

Will the boiler be capable of having it if the boiler is expecting it to use its own timer? Or is it just a case of setting boiler to permanently on and then dropping this in the current thermostat switching?

Will the boiler be capable of having it if the boiler is expecting it to use its own timer? Or is it just a case of setting boiler to permanently on and then dropping this in the current thermostat switching?

Should be more than capable, you turn off timer on boiler set to 0.
Then a 4 or 5 (depends how you want to do it)core cable from reciver to boiler.

My mates just been on, his combi boiler isn't working with the timer so he's asked me to install a separate unit.

First of all is this even possible, and second can anyone recommend a budget programmer that would do it. Think it would need to be wireless programmer unit with a receiver at the boiler. I was having a look at a Salus model for £35 but think they are single channel? I'd need 2 channels I think

Sender unit switched live to switched live in boiler.

Make sure that your on the right terminal in the boiler.

For example, Vaillant have a 240V , 24V and ebus circuits and a lot of others have similar options.

Most combi boilers offer a supply for the circuit you choose too.
So your programmer is just a switch for that particular circuit.

Any RF programmer should work any boiler though, it doesn't need to be same make.

You are supposed to be gas safe registered to open boiler case though.

Thanks. Think I need to look into 230v and 24v contacts a bit and see what all that is about....

So looking at manual I believe I need to take the Ls to the common of the receiver, and the Lr comes from the NO of the receiver to the Lr on the boiler. Would this be right?

So looking at manual I believe I need to take the Ls to the common of the receiver, and the Lr comes from the NO of the receiver to the Lr on the boiler. Would this be right?
Yes, that's right. It's 230V on those so you could use a 230V from a link in programmer. Either way. ( Double check it is 230v, I'm sure it is but not looked at a Worcester for a few week ).

Just trying to get my head around CH in general, so with this being 230v does that mean I don't need to take the feed from the boiler's Ls and Ns terminals, and can take it from a suitable feed, and then just provide it with a Lr at 230v?

I know this probably won't be practical, just trying to get my head around the theory.

Just trying to get my head around CH in general, so with this being 230v does that mean I don't need to take the feed from the boiler's Ls and Ns terminals, and can take it from a suitable feed, and then just provide it with a Lr at 230v?

I know this probably won't be practical, just trying to get my head around the theory.

Yes. Sometimes is easier depending on how many cores in flex/cable etc.
It's no prob if it's 230V .

So, I think by volt free that doesn't mean there's no voltage on the contacts, just that the voltage is separate from the mains voltage. So, a solenoid that is switched open and shut by the 230v mains, but the contacts on switch are separate and therefore can be any voltage you need? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Therefore, if the boiler takes 230v on the switch you can just link the 230v of the supply to the solenoid to the common, and that way it will send 230v up it when it is closed? However, if the device to be switched need a lower voltage, you instead apply that to the common terminal so that the correct voltage is returned when it is closed?

I think I'm slowly getting my head around this, it's the naming of "volt free" that threw me off.

Why would a boiler not want 230v on the switch, I mean, why would a boiler need a 24v return to switch it? Can you give me an example of a boiler that uses this so I can download the manual and take a look?

Reply to Wireless Programmer Advice in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock