• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Wires buried in plaster vs oval conduit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We have recently had some electrical work done in our house and the electrician simply clipped the cables to the wall which was later plastered. When I have done similar wiring myself (before the current regulations - I do have a degree in Electrical Engineering) I have always used oval PVC tubing to protect the cables and to make it easier for future changes.

When I asked the electrician he said that he does not need to use such tubes or capping any more.

I am interested what the current views from the professionals are as to best practice.

You can bed them direct in the wall but I always use oval conduit taking it up to the box entry and protruding into the ceiling cavity because as you say it is easy pull withdraw/replace cables if necessary. Unfortunately we now live in a quick fix world.

what he saiid^^^^.if client is prepared to pay the extra materials and time, then oval tube.

We have recently had some electrical work done in our house and the electrician simply clipped the cables to the wall which was later plastered. When I have done similar wiring myself (before the current regulations - I do have a degree in Electrical Engineering) I have always used oval PVC tubing to protect the cables and to make it easier for future changes.

When I asked the electrician he said that he does not need to use such tubes or capping any more.

I am interested what the current views from the professionals are as to best practice.
The capping / oval conduit is normally used to protect the pvc pvc wiring from errant Plasterer's trowels, I would love to see you try to pull new cable up or down in an oval tube, not very practical really is it?

The capping / oval conduit is normally used to protect the pvc pvc wiring from errant Plasterer's trowels, I would love to see you try to pull new cable up or down in an oval tube, not very practical really is it?
easier than in capping, or glued down by the boarders gunk.

just been to a job , some body just brought a house .the people
before them could not afford plastering being done .
put masking tape over it and painted it .
that's novel. maybe should be included in 18th as a reference method.

the electrician simply clipped the cables to the wall which was later plastered.

Then what he has done ( safe zoning assumed)is fully compliant with current regulations,regulations that are mulled over and compiled by others in a better position to assess the method approved and used by your electrician

Regulations are a minimum standard used to construct a safe installation
Any personal preferences we may have and my own is for plastic capping)that exceed the regulations can not be used to consider work that has been constructed to that standard

I have been known to clip,use oval or round conduit
If you may be concerned that the method used was not of your own personal liking,then you should have specified and paid accordingly for what you required

Did you ever consider a full conduit system (as past methods were often found)perhaps wired in singles so that future rewiring would be non disruptive,I doubt very much
Yet you ask for opinion on a compliant standard compared to something little or no better than you have at present
It is a non question and other than having a pole for personal preference its a no starter subject

As long as correctly sized no problem.

I know it passes regs but I live in N.Ireland and I always buried in conduit and never seen it any other way over here
It looks nice and compact, bur what good is a thin layer of plastic going to achieve other that protect the cables from damage during the first fix stage? as for replacing damaged cable by pulling them through the tube or capping, well good luck with that.

...as for replacing damaged cable by pulling them through the tube or capping, well good luck with that.
Our electrician was very happy to find that a switch was wired via oval tube when changing the switch to a two way. He had no trouble pulling the new cable through.

I have also pulled new cables through several times in previous properties without any problem when I have made my own wiring changes (before the new rules came in). Perhaps I have been lucky!

Our electrician was very happy to find that a switch was wired via oval tube when changing the switch to a two way. He had no trouble pulling the new cable through.

I have also pulled new cables through several times in previous properties without any problem when I have made my own wiring changes (before the new rules came in). Perhaps I have been lucky!
You might get away with it on a light switch drop with one cable in the tube, but more than one???

No it is great for lighting cables and these are the ones you are most likely to withdraw.

No it is great for lighting cables and these are the ones you are most likely to withdraw.

Reply to Wires buried in plaster vs oval conduit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back