Discuss Wiring a ceiling rose in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I was changing the light fitting for the upstairs hall way, I firstly wired it up wrong and no other lights would work upstairs, when turned on it seemed to make a pop noise.

I then got some advice and wired it as recommend in the picture attached, the light is still not working, all the other lights upstairs do however now work.

Can anyone give any suggestions as to why it is still not working? So far I have tried:
- checked the bulb works
- checked the fitting works
- changed the switch incase something in that blew

Thanks for any help!

Duncan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 116
Hi duncanbruce93, welcome to the forum. :)

To speed up replies I have approved your post in the general forum, when Admin' is next on line you will be given DIY status and this thread will be relocated to the DIY section.. this will not effect any posts made in the mean time.

Re' Darkwood.

Last edited:
Have you got a tester of any kind?

Do you have 240v between the brown and blue?

As above. I can see the result of the pop sound in your picture, which has likely been caused by a short circuit fault due to improper installation.

You need a tester to initially see if further damage has been caused by the fault, and secondly to ascertain where your fault lies.

I'd come and have a look but you're a bit far away...

Hi thanks for your quick replies.

I have just put a volt tester to all the wires coming down, the only wire that makes it bleep is one of the brown wires.

It is the brown wire which comes down with the blue wire without the sleeve on. It bleeps when the switch is on and off.

How I originally incorrectly wired it was by wiring the 2 blues together and the 2 Browns together.

Thanks,

Duncan

Desperately trying to avoid calling a sparky if possible.

The light has 2 swicthes, one upstairs with just 1 switch, this is the one I changed.

The other switch is downstairs and is a double switch for the downstairs landing and upstairs landing, the switch downstairs still works for the downstairs light so I assumed that it must still work okay.

Its hard to tell 100% but there seems to be damage to the L insulation and what looks like flash over (black marks) on the top of the earth sleeving, this would suggest a short circuit has occured at some point, this may have damaged the cable and a chance that it may need repairing or if possible reterminating if enough cable is spare to omit any damaged section.

Due to your ongoing problem and the possibility of damaged cables I would recommend you call out an electrician to ensure all is in order, during his/her callout they can then ensure the fitting is fitted and tested with the correct test equipment which will also verify the test readings meet regulation... to confirm any install you need the correct test equipment as this cannot be done with a neon driver, volts stick or voltage probe testers as a DIYer you will only really be checking a voltage is present and not the key tests that ensure the safety of the circuit.

Last edited:

The light has 2 swicthes, one upstairs with just 1 switch, this is the one I changed.

The other switch is downstairs and is a double switch for the downstairs landing and upstairs landing, the switch downstairs still works for the downstairs light so I assumed that it must still work okay.

Why avoid calling a spark? And never assume anything in the electrical world! You initially assumed connecting same coloured conductors together was correct, but that's done more harm than good.

There's no shame in admitting defeat, lighting circuits can be one of the most complicated within a domestic installation.

Call a spark - any competent one will sort your problem out within the price of a call out and they'll have all of the right test equipment to make sure the fault hasn't caused further damage.

the 2 gang switch downstairs might be fried on the one side. even though the 2 switches are in the same faceplate, it's possible that the landing switch is buggered. whilst the hall switch is OK.

A volt stick isn't going to be any use. You'll need a volt meter so you can test voltage and bell out the cables.

cheaper than taking the wife out.

still, OP could arrange a candle lit dinner on the landing.

I wouldn't assume anything.
As already mentioned this switch may now be burnt out.

Reply to Wiring a ceiling rose in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net