Discuss Wiring A Three Phase Contactor With 24v Coil in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning gents, Im trying to find a wiring diagram for a three pole (three phase) contactor, using a 24v coil. Ive found plenty with a 240/415v coil but none with a 24v coil. Im assuming theyre both very simular, only difference being you'd have to pick up your 24v from a different source instead of L1. Any help would be great. Im new to contactor controlled circuits so be gentle with me please.

The only difference is your not picking your coil power up off your actual supply as is common, you just have a independent control circuit powered from a 24v ac or dc supply. As for wiring diagrams then you may struggle as your control can vary so much in how you start it, stop it, limits, etc etc .. their will be plenty of basic examples out their but they may not match your set-up but will help you.
This is the nearest i can find to suit you...

Wiring A Three Phase Contactor With 24v Coil {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It clearly a 1ph motor but that shouldn't phase you here (see what I did there lol)... just pretend its a 3ph motor 1ph per pole.

you've just about answered it, the control part of the circuit just needs to be 24v, just use a transformer with the primary side of it fed from the 3 phase you're using

you've just about answered it, the control part of the circuit just needs to be 24v, just use a transformer with the primary side of it fed from the 3 phase you're using

You'll need a PSU rather than a transformer here, as a transformer will not give 24v DC without some form of rectifier.

You'll need a PSU rather than a transformer here, as a transformer will not give 24v DC without some form of rectifier.

Unless the coil is 24v AC, as Darkwood has already stated.

Unless the coil is 24v AC, as Darkwood has already stated.

I thought I'd read that it was DC somewhere, still 24v AC circuits are no where near as common as DC. In fact the last 3 years of designing bespoke control systems I've never used 24V AC.

I thought I'd read that it was DC somewhere, still 24v AC circuits are no where near as common as DC. In fact the last 3 years of designing bespoke control systems I've never used 24V AC.

Darkwood mentioned both AC and DC mate.
True. All the controls I have done have been 24v DC. Can't remember the last time I used AC controls.

Yes easy to assume dc from our experience and trying to get 24ac components now is like rocking horse do dos ... but nothing wrong with a tx and a rectifier on the output but as 24dc supplies are easy to source, cheap and usually self monitoring then goes without saying the best choice .... that's if we are taking dc that is ;)

change the coil to a 230 V and pick up the supply for it locally. simples.

Not so simples, you need to know your regulations regarding machinery control and just saying a sweeping statement like 'change it to 230v coil' could actually contravene regulations, again I stress dependent on the actual design of the circuit as this has implications as to what you're allowed to use as your control voltage.
If a control exceeds a certain amount of actuators (two I think) like E-stops, limit switches etc then a 230 control is still permitted but must be via an isolating TX, I see so many sparkies dipping their inexperienced hands into Electrical Engineering while walking away with a smile of pride not realising what they have done is in breach of regulations and could render the machine/motor unsafe to users in the event of a fault simply because they were asked to add a few E-stops to the already existing start/stop motor starter where the control is derived from the 230/400 vaults directly.

Reply to Wiring A Three Phase Contactor With 24v Coil in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock