Discuss Wiring advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Some wiring advice please, only apprentice starting to connect lights more so want to learn
Feed in and out 3 Gang Switch
Switch 1 2 Way Spots
Switch 2 LED undercupboard tape
Switch 3 Plinth

Feed in - L to L1, N to Wago
Switch 1 - 3 core between switches Black Is Com on both Brown is L1 on both and Grey is L2 on both, To Light from L2 and N to wago

Switch 2 - Link from Switch 1 L1 to Switch 2 Common, To light from L1 and N wago

Switch 3 - Link from Switch 2 Com to Switch 3 Com and Feed out L to Com and N out from wago, To light from L1 and N wago

Sorry for bad drawing haha

Wiring advice please BDB68C05-71C3-49D3-9DD3-0F4F01EA14A8 - EletriciansForums.net

sorry but looking through beer goggles, can't quite follow. not even specsavers can help me here. but it looks like it won't go bang. :D:D:D.

Yes, that will work just fine, I would do it the same way. Not a dig at you specifically but doesn't anyone learn to use electrical symbols on day 1 of the course these days? I keep seeing people (not just DIYers) drawing pictures of switches and things instead of their symbols.

Protip: Don't use different colour pens to show different colour cores!

Question: Could it be made to work with T+E instead of the 3c+E? Is that method better or worse than this one?

Yes, that will work just fine, I would do it the same way. Not a dig at you specifically but doesn't anyone learn to use electrical symbols on day 1 of the course these days? I keep seeing people (not just DIYers) drawing pictures of switches and things instead of their symbols.

Protip: Don't use different colour pens to show different colour cores!

Question: Could it be made to work with T+E instead of the 3c+E? Is that method better or worse than this one?
Thank you and nope hardly see any symbols unless at work we get plans and what’s your question sorry?

Not wired many light switches with feed there so was making sure, spark I work with tells me 1 way between Com and L1/L2 and 2 way between L1 and L2 which helped a bit
Also he told me he likes to wire lights if there’s a feed in and out at the switch to same point not like my drawing so the feed comes in to L1 on my drawing and links between the switches he said if it’s him he likes to feed to L1 and out of L1 then link between if there’s any other switches but I presume that’s preference?

The question was a teaser for you. Supposing that the cable you've shown as 3c+E had be first-fixed as only a T+E. Could you still make it work as intended? (Spoiler; yes, there are two ways to wire it with T+E that will work correctly) What caveats might apply to those alternatives?

Sparks who have been around the block will know that there is yet another way to make it work without the T+E loop out / in between the switches at all. Just one 3c+E between the two will do everything and it doesn't even require using the bare core for anything other than CPC. But, unlike the other methods I mention above, it's not correct or compliant and should never be used. If you're prepared to really bodge things up and ditch the CPC, you can still make the 2-way work with the 3c+E missing altogether and just re-purpose the bare core in the T+E. Nasty, but understanding these things helps you understand electricity in general.

Also he told me he likes to wire lights if there’s a feed in and out at the switch to same point

Yes it's a preference. It puts fewer terminations along the main run of the loop in / out which is likely to be carrying the heaviest load. OTOH, it requires three cables in one terminal, which may not be ideal. There is something to be said for running the line loop in / out through a Wago like the neutral, and tapping off to the local switches.

Last edited:
think what you need is a couple of richard burns' switching diagrams. they're the dog's bollox.

Reply to Wiring advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock