Discuss Wiring an old electrical workbench in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi there, found this old workbench in a shed at a new house I’ve recently moved to, would be really handy for me if a could connect the sockets and the emergency cut off switches up for use with metal work tools etc, it has a large connections cupboard at the back and I can see some fuses are missing and on of the houses is burnt out, if I were to replace this how would you go about connecting it to power? Please see attached photos for detail

D4B0C09C-F656-4309-B906-98CCC0F5254B.jpeg

E303C517-0B27-42D7-9AF4-33B7E5A20F21.jpeg

E9C914BA-6128-4182-8E14-D4D385BAFF30.jpeg

39050442-7645-49EC-A397-2E70111666F3.jpeg

0E67F517-18CA-49A2-B70C-15630E43C249.jpeg

C9D9501A-CC76-4BF4-B9EA-2C2D8D41ABE3.jpeg

30CCA20E-63E6-4CB7-812E-398DC56DE655.jpeg

That bench would have been for a specific application - by the look of it there are two NEMA sockets to the left, and what looks like 7 pin Socapex to the right. Are there any clues as to what it was used for?

If you're just after a power supply for a workshop you'd be better off with a couple of RCD sockets.

Have you been skip-diving,outside a college,built in the 70's? ;)

To be honest,there is nothing useful on there,which could not be sourced as a modern equivalent,for reasonable money.

A nice,neat,blast from the past,though.

Agree with above - not really worth trying to re-hash. Although the sockets are a decent make, they are obviously seveal decades old, and probably been subjected to a lot of use when it was all in use as some sort of test/education bench - the contacts will have seen a lot of wear!

I'd fit a couple of new sockets (either RCD type, or fed from an RCD) and some fresh wiring. Where are you intending supplying the bench from - some flex and a 13A plug top?

Note, I used the phrase 'plug-top' intetionally as it causes upset among some members on here :)

Seems a shame to junk it, even though you could get something more modern/better for not a lot of cash...but then I hate taking stuff to the tip when it's not completely and utterly trashed...just don't like good gear going into landfill.
Is the top bit you screw onto the plug-top to cover the terminals a plug-top-top?
and once in a socket, is the top of it a plug-top-top-top?
I only ask in order to fuel the debate. For example, inline connectors often have 2 parts, a plug (like say a jackplug) and a socket...so they are plug and socket. A USB connector (plug) plugs into a USB socket, and so on, and those shiny blue round plugs for marine and caravan use plug into a matching socket, but they aren't called plug-tops...so is it only the standard13A style mains plug which isn't a plug but a plug-top?

Yep, keep the wood and the metalwork but ditch the electrics.

Keep the bench top but not the plug top!

And good post Pirate.

Thanks all for the replies! Have decided to just renew the sockets and wire directly to an RCD. Think whomever lived her before fancied them selves as a bit of a scientist, have found all sorts of potions lying around!
you've visited my workshop then?

Reply to Wiring an old electrical workbench in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net