Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Wiring and Kitchen alterations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Calash1

Calash1 New EF Member

Hi guys,

Going to a job where they are having a kitchen rip out and new one installed, the upstairs has just been tiled and finished so any works to happen under the boards are a no go, what are people’s thoughts on through crimping for socket movements and chasing down to just below worktop level. Also any other kitchen wiring/alteration tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers folks!

2. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

depends on extend of alteration.... last kitchen I did I made them take the ceiling down :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

All connections, where possible at sockets ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Not a fan of through joints to be honest, I know it's done but personally I don't like it.
    Not to sure by what you mean by chasing down to below the worktop level, if you mean moving a socket outlet, then providing everything else is flush then it should be a simple job, can you not spur down, rather than crimping a joint? ughh

5. Calash1

Calash1 New EF Member

Thanks for the reply Pete!, just struggling as to other ways as some of the sockets will be redundant and blank plates will look horrendous so need to lose a couple legs here and there :)

6. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

Think about your wiring zones, you cant just crimp where a socket was and fill over it if theres nothing else inline with it or how will anybody know there are still cables there

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. willy fixit

willy fixit Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Mike Willmott
    Quickest/cheapest way IMHO!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

Especially when they have just completed expensive alterations above without considering the imminent new kitchen they were having fitted straight after.
    You know what they say about an omelette.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Take out the leg back to the previous point .. And run a new leg to the new point....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. camerabloke

camerabloke Electrician's Arms

Jeez it’s not hard is it

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

If they refuse to allow the floor to be taken up then surely the only option is to cut access into the ceiling?

12. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    joints could be made and horizontal runs within 150mm of the ceiling.

13. davesparks

I’ve never understood that zone because nobody outside of the electrical trade knows about it, and it puts cables in the perfect place to get hit by nails when coving is fitted.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Martyn Fletcher

Martyn Fletcher Regular EF Member

You NAIL coving?
    Bugger me, I've been doing it wrong all these years. Better go rip down all that stuff that's been up for 30+ years and do it with nails.
    Damnit damnit damnit... and I wanted the weekend off. :(

15. davesparks

I don’t fit coving at all, I’m an electrician.
    However the plasters at the building company where I used to work used nails into the wall to hold the coving in place whilst the adhesive was setting.

And one of those guys was over 70 when he retired so I reckon he’d been doing it quite a long time too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1