Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Wiring Bulk Head Lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. VincentW

VincentW Active EF Member

Apologies for what will seem a daft question to you guys - I am not an electrician, and have not got to grips with the different voltages on appliances.

Can someone tell me if these lights can be wired into the mains - these state 110v so if not would these usually be powered by a generator or transformer.

Again apologies for my lack of knowledge.
    Vince

IMG_20161130_092129.jpg

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    If you stick 230V it will damage the light as well as being extremely dangerous, where did you get the fittings from? so DON'T connect them up to the 230v mains

• Like Like x 1
  3. VincentW

We have these in our warehouse - quite a large amount, so how would they be powered please.

4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Sorry to be obvious, but they need to be powered from a 110volt AC or DC supply!

If you only have UK (230VAC) mains then you'll need a transformer to reduce the voltage from 230 to 110 volts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. VincentW

I believe construction usually use 110v (I may be wrong), so where would use a bulkhead emergency light like this ? I think its an emergency light anyway - although it does not have a battery of any sort inside

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    could be emergency lights powered from an external 110V source. e.g. a battery pack.

• Like Like x 2
  7. VincentW

Thats what I thought, however what makes them emergency lights as opposed to standard 110v bulkheads if they are powered from an external source surely a normal bulkhead would work the same

8. hightower

hightower Guest

Has it got a capacitor inside? EDIT: A big one.

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if they are emergencies, on loss of the lighting circuit supply, the emergency supply would kick in. 110V would mean less batteries to supply them.

10. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Some older emergency light systems have a central battery instead of batteries in the lights. Ones I have seen in the past have been the size of a tea chest if you are looking for one on site.

11. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Vincent can you show us a picture of the packing and any instructions

• Like Like x 1
  12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

tetctrix may have hit on it. Some emergeny lighting systems have a central (battery) supply for all emergency lights.
    Standard voltages are 24, 50, 110 and 230Volt

They'll be powered by something that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Screenshot 2016-11-30 09.59.31.png

• Like Like x 3
  13. VincentW

As attached

IMG_20161130_102055.jpg

14. VincentW

The packing is just a plain brown box - ive sent over a pic of the inside PCB

15. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

What was your intended use for these fittings Vincent, or are you just trying to find out what they are ?