Discuss Wiring domestic telephone sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im in the process of renovating my and need to wire up the 3 pair telephone cable to the sockets however im not sure which colour relates to which pin.

Ive uploaded images of the wire and the back of the sockets but if you need more info let me know.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers,

Jonny

Wiring domestic telephone sockets 20180517_083959_HDR - EletriciansForums.net

Wiring domestic telephone sockets 20180517_083845_HDR - EletriciansForums.net

Thank you. So im clear blue with white 2, white with blue 5 and orange 3? The doesn't seem to be an orange wire only red with white, white with yellow, white and green with white?

just use the blue/white and the white/blue. as long as you connect terminal 2 -2 and 5 -5 that's all you need.make sure that the main socket is a master and all others are slaves. ( you can tell the master as it has a capacitor fitted.

As telectrix said, ^^^
make sure the conductor is pushed into the splicing connector on the back of the socket securely. If you use the correct tool for the job its quite quick & simple.

buy a proper IDC tool. the plastic ones that come with sockets are crap.

Wiring domestic telephone sockets {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

buy a proper IDC tool. the plastic ones that come with sockets are crap.

Wiring domestic telephone sockets {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Ok the plastic ones are nowhere near as good as the one you posted but they will to for wiring up one phone connector.

If the extensions are to be used for telephony, then I recommend terminating terminal 3 bell wire else they won't ring.

If the extensions are to be used for telephony, then I recommend terminating terminal 3 bell wire else they won't ring.

Not true with modern phones. Was needed years ago with the old style phones.

Ok the plastic ones are nowhere near as good as the one you posted but they will to for wiring up one phone connector.
They will, but a decent one is not overly expensive and looks good in your tool kit when a customer asks if you know anyone who can install an additional phone extension point.

You pull out your tool and say "Yes me!" ;)

under a tenner.
https://www.screwflix..com/p/philex...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJ-Dzc6kj9sCFUcj0wodiHQEZw

They will, but a decent one is not overly expensive and looks good in your tool kit when a customer asks if you know anyone who can install an additional phone extension point.

You pull out your tool and say "Yes me!" ;)

Very true mate but the OP doesn't state how many sockets he's adding. Most prob not a lot. For 1 or 2 sockets then the plastic thing will do. If he's intending to do more and then maybe get the proper tool.

Very true mate but the OP doesn't state how many sockets he's adding. Most prob not a lot. For 1 or 2 sockets then the plastic thing will do. If he's intending to do more and then maybe get the proper tool.
maybe right, but if he's got sa poor connection due to using crap tool, he's going to be tearing hair

What sort of cable is that?
I've only seen 3-pair for telephones.
Blue with white strip, Green with white strip, orange with white strip, and the opposites. ie White with blue strip.

The way I remember is
'Blue to two' (it rhymes)
'Green to three'(so does this)
Orange is the only colour left so goes to one. the opposite colours go on the numbers opposite. ie 1-6, 2-5, 3-4

Reply to Wiring domestic telephone sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock