Discuss Wiring four hi-fi separates to one plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've bought four hi-fi separates which came with an interesting plug. You can see the image here:

show.php

You'll note that the live wire is just a pin with no holes for wires to attach to it, which I find strange.

Each of the four hi-fi separates has only a blue (neutral) and brown (live) wire -- there's no earth wires from any of the separates as they're double insulated.

So I'm confused about how I am supposed to wire these eight wires into this single plug. Plus, I can see nothing to indicate what the pin by the plug is supposed to do, or where it should go.

I'm looking forward to making this my project, but would prefer it if I didn't electrocute myself in the process, so any help is much appreciate indeed!

Thanks!​

Has that contraption got live, neutral and earth plug pins sticking out of the other side?

Connect all 4 live wires to that loose bit and clip it back in where it belongs on the right, connect all 4 neutral wires to the bar at the back of the neutral pin and just leave the earth bar at the top vacant. There should be 4x cable anchors to secure the cables and provide strain relief that you fit before putting the cover back on.

Usually separates have an earth point on the back somewhere, link all the earth points at the back together. This isn't for safety, it's to reduce mains crackle and hum.

Hi Marvo,

Many thanks for the response. There are indeed three pins sticking out the front of the plug, as you'd expect. I'd be happy to connect the live pin to the plug, if I could, err, figure out how it's supposed to clip to the plug.

Indeed -- the other approach is I just get four plugs and be done with it -- but I was keen to give this a go first of all.

I may be wrong but I think it lays horizontal pointing up towards the top of the contraption.

My best guess is something like this;

Drawing1.jpg

I think the U shaped bit at the bottom of the bar should be a tensioned fit to make a connection onto the sides of the metal piece that's in contact with the top of the fuse.

Last edited:
Try routing the wires similar to this;

Drawing2.jpg

I'm not sure if there are separate little clamps for each of the 4 cables or whether the cover somehow traps the cable where it enters and clamps it to prevent it being pulled out.

This kind of works, but because there's a piece of plastic keeping the live pin in place (so it doesn't move), the metal clip bit can only attach to plastic -- hence there's no metal contact.

There's no separate clamps -- the cover will keep all the wires in place, to prevent them from moving.

Thanks!

I found you a mushier looking moo for your avatar as well.
Mushier Moo.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: DPG
I'm not sure if you'll need to pull the plastic part out first then refit it after you've located the loose block or whether the U shaped part of the loose block will slide in around and under the plastic part if you push it in from the top.

Marvo,

Hehe, thanks for the cow! :)

Have a look at the following photo:

show.php

The piece of black plastic is where the fuse is. Without the other small piece of black plastic on the right-hand side, this is what would happen to live pin if I were to plug it into the wall -- it would move. So I think that clamp is needed.

But if it's left there, then the top metal pin is only ever in contact with plastic, which won't work.

Hmm -- either I'm being really dumb, or I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Try fitting it the other way around with the U shaped piece in the same place but screws pointing upwards

Hi Marvo,

I can fit it like this:

show.php

In this position, the metal clip at the top is in contact with the metal of the fuse. Is this correct? Is this how it should be?

Thanks!

Hi Marvo,

I can fit it like this:

show.php

In this position, the metal clip at the top is in contact with the metal of the fuse. Is this correct? Is this how it should be?

Thanks!
that looks maybe right, but my alternative solution is:

upload_2018-6-29_8-10-22.jpeg

I would personally fit four separate plugs and use a decent quality 4 way extension cable. There will be no safety doubts then. The last thing you want is a loose connection causing overheating, or insufficient cable rerstaint.

Double post deleted. Mooooooo.

The U shaped piece of metal on the end of the brass connector strip, looks as if it should fit round the end of the fuse.

Agree with spin -looks like a fuse clip.

Hi Marvo,

I can fit it like this:

show.php

Thanks!
Yes, that looks better to me.

Reply to Wiring four hi-fi separates to one plug in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net