Discuss Wiring In a Shed, advice needed on SWA route in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

you dont need to run the swa all the way to the CU. might be easier to run t&e inside

Also, to add to @Rob post above, the OP's CU doesn't have an RCD so may be easier to run armour to house CU.

@Spoon That's what I'd like to do is run the SWA from CU to CU, using the armour to export the Earth as well as a spare core. its a wooden shed by the way.
My main concern is bringing the cable up above the floor boards before exiting the house.
To keep the job tidy, I'd like to chase the SWA into the internal wall and then exit the building behind the chase.
I was concerned that I had to bring the cable out at a certain height but apparently not from earlier answers.
In which case I can bring it out on the right hand side of the door, go vertically down, under the door step then back up the other side to take it round to the garden wall....
I have to run conduit beside to take the CAT 6 cables out to the shed also.

I have to run conduit beside to take the CAT 6 cables out to the shed also.

What about just using armoured CAT 6 cable? Then no need for conduit..

Last edited:
Appreciate you saying get a spark in, but that’s not really the advice I was looking for.....
May not be the advice you are wanting, but it's the best advice given so far.

Could also use one of these to get internet into shed.

@Spoon I don’t really want to use a power line adaptor as I have a need for Gb speed.
@Pete999 I’m looking at doing my 18th edition and part p courses so as much as I appreciate people telling me to get an electrician in, it won’t help me get any practical experience. I’m happy to work with one for sign off and I don’t mind paying a little more in the long run, but I would really like to do the work myself

Part P isn't a qualification don't get ripped off with the courses.

It's a set of building regulations that are available free online.

Also, just the 18th edition qualification, although a start. Does in no way mean you can undertake electrical work. This qualification just proves you can read the book.

I already design and fit electrical systems to ships, unfortunately that don’t mean I can fit them in houses

Part P isn't a qualification don't get ripped off with the courses.

It's a set of building regulations that are available free online.

Also, just the 18th edition qualification, although a start. Does in no way mean you can undertake electrical work. This qualification just proves you can read the book.
Cosmic reply Rob, Cosmic

Don't like to see anyone being ripped off, especially when trying to better themselves.
Agree, but there are a great many people getting ripped off all over the shop. Apologies for echoing your post on my last reply, but it gets up my nose when guys with some engineering experience think you can commit to the two courses mentioned and assume they are all singing all dancing Electricians.

Woo there! Never said I was going to be an all signing all dancing electrician! What I am looking at is the route the become a domestic installer. And what I need to do, what I need to study and what exams to take to move towards that. And as a start using my own home to gain some practical experience.
I do already hold a degree and NVQ 4 in Electrical engineering, but I do respect the fact that doesn’t mean I can suddenly start wiring houses.

Agree, but there are a great many people getting ripped off all over the shop. Apologies for echoing your post on my last reply, but it gets up my nose when guys with some engineering experience think you can commit to the two courses mentioned and assume they are all singing all dancing Electricians.

I don't think this guy is under that impression Pete.

I merely wanted to point out information on the courses he mentioned.

Probably the type of person who would suit the Electrical Trainee course, an then working alongside an electrician for a while to pick up the practical knowledge of dismantling a house etc..

Although I have to ask, why on earth with a degree in engineering do you want to go into house bashing, the market is saturated and there is far easier far higher paying work as an engineer knocking around.

Big_Paul, welcome to the forum!
please don't take offence if some of us are very direct and seemingly unhelpful, that's not really our intentions!
The truth is we get a lot of D.I.Y'ers on here trying to take short cuts for one reason or another (usually to try and save money).
It is obvious that you are knowledgeable, experienced and qualified in electrical systems albeit not the domestic sector. But this knowledge will certainly help you towards achieving the required qualifications and experience to work in the domestic sector.
Its great that you seek advice regarding this install (rather than just blundering on) and from what you have suggested thus far seems reasonable to me. But it would be fool hardy to not involve an experienced electrician throughout the job. Yes it will cost you some money but this money will be an investment towards your learning experience.

My advice, along with what has already been suggested, is that you employ an experienced electrician who will work with you, can oversee the design and install and is happy to sign off the works.

In answer to your questions, I miss doing practical work, I’ve been sitting at a computer for the last few years and with my first baby on the way it’s a good way to use previous experience to do a bit of extra work to earn a little more.
I have no ambition on doing anything other than potentially putting in new CUs, extra sockets/lights or maybe the odd reword here and there, or light in doing at my own place, running power out to a shed/garage.
I pride myself in the quality of work and originally did an old fashioned MOD indentured apprenticeship (rare as rocking horse ---- these days) then my degree. But let’s be honest, doing a 9-5 in an office can be a bit crap

But let’s be honest, doing a 9-5 in an office can be a bit crap

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:
I enjoy doing it. Not to everyone though mate.
Yes I do miss wiring up consoles/control panels.

As @Rob has already stated, the domestic side is saturated mate.

If you want to gain knowledge about the domestic side then this forum is good for that. I have learned loads and learn more each day from the people on here.

Reply to Wiring In a Shed, advice needed on SWA route in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock