Discuss Wiring in downlights - do they have to be in parallel?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

james7777777

Hi I have 9 downlights to wire up. They are positioned around an exisiting celing rose lamp at the centre. They are double earthed so I assume I dont need an earth for them. next question is can i wire them up as below where 0 is the downlights and the rest is 1mm cable. The red downlight is where the existing lamp is.

0 0 0
I I I
I I I
0--------0--------0
I I I
I I I
0 0 0

bugger, my diagram clearly hasnt come out right.

Essentially my lighting connection JB is in the centre of my 9 lights. I want to run 3 separate spurs from this JB each serving 3 lights instead of running a daisy chain - is this ok?

Hi I have 9 downlights to wire up. They are positioned around an exisiting celing rose lamp at the centre. They are double earthed so I assume I dont need an earth for them. next question is can i wire them up as below where 0 is the downlights and the rest is 1mm cable. The red downlight is where the existing lamp is.

0 0 0
I I I
I I I

0--------0--------0
I I I
I I I

0 0 0

You know 1 out of 10 people do not understand binary .....................

Do I read it as from the red 0 1mm to the left light and then 6 cables from that light? Or am I wrong

Bit lost with the diagram

I take it you mean double insulated?

Looking at your last post with 50w per light I would be looking at the load on the circuit before starting!

they have to be wired in parallel but that can take the form of a daisy chain, a star or a mixture of both.

you need to provide an earth to each point in case one is changed to a class one fitting at a later date.

also the term is double insulated not double earthed.

as for the cable size check the loading on each cable and any derating factors and size accordingly.

Yes have checked the load...is 1200 w on a 5amp circuit so just about ok I think (bearing in mind they wont all be on at once and I plan to remove some other lights in future)

Anyway i want to wire it like this where D is the downlight and W is the wire. The JB is right in the centre

D.........D.........D
W........W........W
W........W........W
DWWWDWWWD
W........W........W
W........W........W
D........D..........D

Yes, it is ok to run three radials from the centre point rather than daisy chain. Why would you think it wasn't ok?
I think you mean double insulated and even though the fittings won't require an earth you will need a continuous earth throughout the cable runs. If you are using JBs they MUST be accessible. Have you worked out the load on this circuit? Will you be testing and issuing certs?

With all due respect, this is pretty simple stuff for any competent spark, I would have a think wether you should be carrying out this work.

much simpler to go from your JB and daisy chain the downlights in parallel. at each fitting, make off the T/E into a 2" round JB ( accessible by pulling the downlight out of it's hole ) then about 8" of heat resistant flex ( 0.75mm) to the fitting

Yes have checked the load...is 1200 w on a 5amp circuit so just about ok I think (bearing in mind they wont all be on at once and I plan to remove some other lights in future)

Anyway i want to wire it like this where D is the downlight and W is the wire. The JB is right in the centre

D.........D.........D
W........W........W
W........W........W
DWWWDWWWD
W........W........W
W........W........W
D........D..........D
was yor kast job at bletchley , or do you have an enigma machine?

D.........D.........D
W........W........W
W........W........W
DWWWDWWWD
W........W........W
W........W........W
D........D..........D

possibly a uefa SPOT with that form...you see what i did there!!!..i'll get me coat:disappointed:

im not sure why people worry about the way they wire lighting it doesnt matter if you have spurs off to a few lights or daisy chain because as long as the protective device is rated less than the current carrying capacity of the cable and the circuit is calculated to take the lighting load you cant go wrong

im not sure why people worry about the way they wire lighting it doesnt matter if you have spurs off to a few lights or daisy chain because as long as the protective device is rated less than the current carrying capacity of the cable and the circuit is calculated to take the lighting load you cant go wrong

Well why's he askin' how to do it in code form then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes it a pain in the 4rse to do yer voltage drop calcs though ;)

How can something so simple, be made to look so difficult???

Perhaps James is in the wrong profession, he should of seriously considered Politics!!!

Lets put this in simple terms. Yes, you have to wire them in parallel. Whether that is daisy chained, spidered out or whatever else you can come up with, each light will need the same voltage. In series, each light on an 240V system will have 26.6V, making a very dim view if the situation. Pardon the intended pun........

Reply to Wiring in downlights - do they have to be in parallel?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net