Discuss Wiring in insulated stud wall in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

clipped to the brick would indeed be clipped direct as long as there was an airgap to the insulation. cable support is not a problem as you can put in as many clips as you like.

Thanks for that telectrix. Are you referring to running it behind the insulation when you say cable support is not a problem?

yes. clip to brickwork.

In terms of the work itself, the existing circuit is up to scratch/RCD protected as new CU went in last year. the job is as it stands is not notifiable although of course BC will pull me up on anything they find that is non-compliant.

It would actually probably be worth it to remove the old cable and run new to the CU as then the onus of testing would fall to BC.

But as it stands, on completion of the garage conversion I have a sparky coming in to run a new circuit in SWA for the new detached garage, he will then test my installation, I see no requirement to have him oversee all my work.

Therefore my focus is on complying with the regs in the installation.

Just commenting on the points you've made about compliance, in domestic properties Part P (England & Wales). Electrical installations shall be designed & installed in accordance with BS7671, doing so will ensure compliance with Part P building regs, both for notifiable & non notifiable work. BS7671 defines the skills of persons electrically.

IMO your LBC officer will have limited electrical design knowledge, they typically rely on qualified electricians/companies to carry out such work, and will therefore not 'pull me (you) up on anything they find that is non-compliant'.

BS7671 requires appropriate design, construction, inspection & testing, with certification for new work or alterations & additions. You state that an electrician will test 'your' work after completion, and presumably provide the appropriate certification. Although I don't doubt there are electricians who will test & certificate without seeing how the installation has been installed, the model forms (BS7671) require a signature for that declaration.

Of course you may have the adequate education, training and practical skills, and are able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which electricity can create to carry out this work. But I don't think you have stated your expertise?

I commend anyone who carry out any work on their own properties. However, I would be concerned on how the installation is constructed, and I would not sign an appropriate certificate as you are suggesting, without that knowledge.

Edit; just like to add, I would not test & inspect as being suggested here, just before anyone says anything :)

Last edited:

Reply to Wiring in insulated stud wall in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net