Discuss wiring multiple led downlights in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. A DIYer here.
This may seem like a simple issue, but I can't find a clear answer:
When wiring up say, 6, LED downlights (230 volts, 5 watts each), should they be wired in series or parallel?
If in parallel, how should they be connected to the mains cable, bearing in mind that screw-type connectors are not allowed in inaccessible areas. Is there a special kind of (non-screw) junction box that will accommodate multiple cables?
Thanks

With a lot of makes it is very clear. LENNEL, NELNEL, LENLEN etc are not brand names, it is how and where you terminate the conductors

Thanks mhar - point taken, but the reason I'm asking this is that one of my bedrooms has 6 led downlights that have simply been wired in parallel using chocbox and tape inside the ceiling. I know this is not legal, but is it safe? If so, can I simply replace the chocbox and tape with a "maintenance free" junction box?
Thanks for your patience.

you use the fitting itself as your junction box. some are screw and some push-in, but either will do as the joint is accessible by dropping the light out. the black square bit at top of pic. is the junction/connection box. your T/E ( 1.0mm) goes straight in.
wiring multiple led downlights {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks everyone for your help. I get the idea, but I'm just a bit surprised that something as common as wiring for 230v led downlights is not all over the internet. Perhaps it's considered too obvious to bother with. Anyway, daisy chain it is.

Davesparks. I thought that connections using screws are not allowed to be used in inaccessible areas, e.g. above the ceiling. Perhaps I misunderstood. Thanks.

maybe the tape was stolen.

I thought that connections using screws are not allowed to be used in inaccessible areas, e.g. above the ceiling.

sealed above ceiling ( where you'd need to either cut ceiling or take up a board upstairs) is inaccessible. when you can access the joint easily by just pulling the downlight out of it's rabbit hole is accessible

Choc boxes are totally unsafe and illegal (citation westwood10). :)
disagree. i like the black magic, except for nuts and coconut

old jamaica but the buggers have scrapped it. probablybecause some council jobsworth says they need a liquor licence as it'0.00005 % alcohol.

nope. it's gone. same way as omo, oxydol, and loads more. good to know we can still get beans, albeit not for astronauts:

What...no rum!!!
scandalous!
quite like these, as recommended by a friend...
https://www.screwflix..com/p/debox-2sl-screwless-in-line-junction-box/9858r
ignore the bad reviews, they just didn't use them properly

Reply to wiring multiple led downlights in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock