Discuss Wiring my 8 pole motor in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jacus

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum page. I live in the new forest in Hampshire and I'm in need of some electrical support please.

I bought a new 8 pole induction motor and I haven't a clue how to wire it up to the mains. I need the motor to turn anti clockwise if possible as I'm working with my kids to make a plastic extruder machine.

I will attach some photos to give you guys an idea. Any advice will be much appreciated. !
Screenshot_20181110-164035.png
20181110_162840.jpg
20181110_162824.jpg

Your motor is wired in delta.
Connect your 3 live wires to each of the 3 terminals U1, V1 & W1.
The 2 blue wires are probably for a thermal overload.
This would be wired in conjunction with a contactor, to cut power to the motor if it over heats.

Hi spinlondon

Thanks for the message. With regards to wiring the 3 live wires into U1 V1 & W1....can I wire them into any of the ports? Are we talking about the normal 3 wires...blue , yellow and brown?

Sorry if the questions sound a bit daft but I don't want to cause an electrical fire or issue.
If you say my wiring is Delta, does that have anything to do with the rotation?
Many thanks

Your motor is wired in delta.
Connect your 3 live wires to each of the 3 terminals U1, V1 & W1.
The 2 blue wires are probably for a thermal overload.
This would be wired in conjunction with a contactor, to cut power to the motor if it over heats.

The motor is shown wired in Star configuration for a 400v 3ph supply. Connect the three phase 400v supply via a suitable starter to the terminals marked U1, V1 & W1.
The two blue wires are a thermistor, this will need a seperate Thermistor relay that will detect the change in resistance of the thermistors if the motor overheats. This relay then trips the motor starter.
If you wire it up and it goes the wrong way, simply swap two over any two of the incoming phases.

Hi spinlondon

Thanks for the message. With regards to wiring the 3 live wires into U1 V1 & W1....can I wire them into any of the ports? Are we talking about the normal 3 wires...blue , yellow and brown?

Sorry if the questions sound a bit daft but I don't want to cause an electrical fire or issue.
If you say my wiring is Delta, does that have anything to do with the rotation?
Many thanks

Aplogies if you do, but based on your responses. Do you understand that this motor requires a 3 phase supply?
You won't have that at home.
It will also require a DOL starter with a 0.63A range thermal overload relay.

You have a motor which will operate in Delta at 230v or Star at 400v. Unfortunately both these modes of connection whether 230v Star or 400v Delta require a three phase supply. It sounds like you only have 230v single phase and hence it will not operate.

Not sure how much torque your application requires, but if you cant return the motor you can actually make it run on a single phase supply simply using 2 capacitors.
This may work in a classroom but for practical applications it is not really feasible.

You have a motor which will operate in Delta at 230v or Star at 400v. Unfortunately both these modes of connection whether 230v Star or 400v Delta require a three phase supply. It sounds like you only have 230v single phase and hence it will not operate.
Bit confused here,on nameplate it says a connection @ 230 v in delta,is that possible.
Needs the wiring diagram to be certain.

Last edited:
When the three-phase motor is delta connected, the capacitor is star connected. Running capacitance: refers to the starting capacitance. After closing the switch K, the power is switched on and the motor starts running. When the motor reaches the rated speed, the c1 shall be disconnected through the switch K, otherwise the motor will generate heat or even burn out.
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum page. I live in the new forest in Hampshire and I'm in need of some electrical support please.

I bought a new 8 pole induction motor and I haven't a clue how to wire it up to the mains. I need the motor to turn anti clockwise if possible as I'm working with my kids to make a plastic extruder machine.

I will attach some photos to give you guys an idea. Any advice will be much appreciated. ! View attachment 45643 View attachment 45644 View attachment 45645

Reply to Wiring my 8 pole motor in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net