Discuss Wiring of 5A lighting sockets in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kuffs

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to wire 6 x 5A lighting sockets, via a switch next to the door into a living room. I was wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn’t run the switched feed around the perimeter of the loft, above the walls where the socket outlets are going to be fitted, and spur off this feed, down to each outlet? I for the life of me can’t see a problem with it, but somethings nagging at me.

Any advice would be welcome.

I am about to wire 6 x 5A lighting sockets, via a switch next to the door into a living room. I was wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn’t run the switched feed around the perimeter of the loft, above the walls where the socket outlets are going to be fitted, and spur off this feed, down to each outlet? I for the life of me can’t see a problem with it, but somethings nagging at me
what ,to blow your self up .

Hi Kuffs,

It's probably best to say if you are an electrician or DIY. If you mention that you are DIY then you may/will probably get some advice rather than the comments above. However, I personally don't give out DIY advice as I see it causing more harm than good in the long run, so my advice when a question like this is asked is to always get an electrician in.

The house is my own property. I am in the middle of a serious refurb. I am rewiring as I go. It is a bungalow and I have stripped all of the plaster board of the walls in order to insulate the place. The roof above the area where the drops are going is a major PIA. I am running all the cables above the insulation. I'm also running the cables right through the centre of the loft, heigh up on battens. I want this all clearly marked and easily accessible. Quite honestly, I was just saving trying to save cable, and as the junction boxes are easy to access, It seemed to be a reasonable Idea. My question though, was can anyone see any issue with this?

Murdoch. I think my last reply may have crossed with yours. As you can see they will be accessible. Also they are done using Wago connectors and boxes. They don't need to be accessible, but I'm making them accessible anyway.

Hi Baddegg, Thanks for that, it's a fair point. Thank you for you considered reply. I was originally going to loop it but as I said, I felt it would be easier to do what I was suggesting. It's hard to explain why I want to do it this way, but you need to see the space I have to work in to have a clearer Idea. The insulation isn't an issue, as I removed it before I got started. The old electrics were in a dire state, and bordering on dangerous. The old guy that owned the place before we took it on had made some interesting mod's to some of the circuits.

Why don't you just do it normally?
That way if there's a fault and someone else has to come along and fix it they're in with a sporting chance of knowing what to do instead of being left scratching their head until it's raw and bloody.

Hi Baddegg, Thanks for that, it's a fair point. Thank you for you considered reply. I was originally going to loop it but as I said, I felt it would be easier to do what I was suggesting. It's hard to explain why I want to do it this way, but you need to see the space I have to work in to have a clearer Idea. The insulation isn't an issue, as I removed it before I got started. The old electrics were in a dire state, and bordering on dangerous. The old guy that owned the place before we took it on had made some interesting mod's to some of the circuits.

Ever heard of people in glass houses? by the sounds of it neither the original occupant or you are deemed qualified or competent to undertake electrical work. I’d advise you seek the skills and expertise of an Electrician to complete the above works and any remaining work in your refurb.

As you're using 5A plugs spurred from a socket circuit, either 16, 20 or 32 amp, how are you fusing down the lighting sockets?

Reply to Wiring of 5A lighting sockets in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net