Discuss Wiring of 5A lighting sockets in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As you're using 5A plugs spurred from a socket circuit, either 16, 20 or 32 amp, how are you fusing down the lighting sockets?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-1-gang-5a-unswitched-round-pin-plug-socket-white/91241
Think he means these strima, I’m guessing it’s switch fed then looped in out at each socket or spured down as he intended

From his opening post he intends to switch six sockets from one switch and I am not sure why you would do this as it gives all or nothing. At home I have fitted four 2A sockets in one room controlled by a four gang grid switch so you can control light levels.

Westy, do you find you actually control light levels very often?
I ask this as a genuine query because when I moved into my current home 15 years ago I had dimmers fitted everywhere and as they popped one by one I substituted on/off modules instead and have not really missed the ability to vary the light level except in my hallway where I have dedicated downlights to illuminate certain pictures on the walls.
Hey, I guess I have lost the romance!

Funnily enough we have dimmers in other rooms also and they tend to be on full, never dimmed but the room with the 2A lighting sockets we do have different levels of lighting as it creates a better effect.

Same situation here...useful, but seldom used. Mind you, dimmers 15 years ago were not quite as robust as nowadays, maybe.

Our lighting sockets are in a dining room which used to be the lounge which is why I fitted them. The dining room however has two easy chairs and the mixture of standard, table and shelf lights mean you can sit in a chair with one localised full light as opposed to poorly dimmed light, gives a nice affect.

For lighting effects I use smart lamps. I have one in a living room lamp for when we watch movies etc and the other under a dresser in the kitchen for mood lighting if we have a posh meal etc.

Also handy for when we're away as we can set the lights to come on and off at random times to give more of an impression that we're in.

Only downside is we need a phone or tablet at hand to control the lighting.

Hi Kuffs,

It's probably best to say if you are an electrician or DIY. If you mention that you are DIY then you may/will probably get some advice rather than the comments above. However, I personally don't give out DIY advice as I see it causing more harm than good in the long run, so my advice when a question like this is asked is to always get an electrician in.

Kuffs.....I like what you say as far as letting people know you are not a qualified sparky. I'm not qualified but have worked as a mate since I retired and have always been interested in domestic stuff. In my experience in the forum, if you are honest and know your limitations you won't get too much abuse.

Hi Kuffs,

It's probably best to say if you are an electrician or DIY. If you mention that you are DIY then you may/will probably get some advice rather than the comments above. However, I personally don't give out DIY advice as I see it causing more harm than good in the long run, so my advice when a question like this is asked is to always get an electrician in.

Kuffs.....I like what you say as far as letting people know you are not a qualified sparky. I'm not qualified but have worked as a mate since I retired and have always been interested in domestic stuff. In my experience in the forum, if you are honest and know your limitations you won't get too much abuse.

Reply to Wiring of 5A lighting sockets in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net