Discuss wiring of an outbuilding/studio in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wright30

hey folks! 1st time poster. im after some information on some wiring ive done. ive wired a wooden outbuilding in with some 6mm SWA. ive got 2 double sockets and a 13amp fused spur for a 2kw creda heater. (all on a radial i must add as its not possible to ring the circuit) ive downrated the mcb in the board there from a 32 to a 20 because of this.

in the mains board in the house ive fed it from a 32amp mcb to run the studio. trouble is when the heaters put on it trips the house and the studio out? i might add that the RCD supply is 40amp rated in the studio as i replaced this again instead of the 63amp. does an yone have any ideas why it would keep tripping? i dont have any test equipment but have done an continuity test with a multimeter

thanks

Rob

thanks for the fast reply! when i turn the heater on it trips the rcd in the studio and also the rcd in the main board (house). the sockets are fine but somethings telling me i should maybe put the 32amp mcb back in instead of the 20?

More than likely a fault in the heater and no discrimination between rcd's

No mate if it is the RCD that is tripping that is basically a leakage to earth, disconnect the heater and try your lights sockets etc if everything is ok the heater is defective and needs repaired or replaced. If you have a split board 2 RCDs try the heater on the other RCD if it still trips it is the heater.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Not without the proper test equipment what area do you live in perhaps one of the members will be able to help you out.

Chris

I would also remove the rcd at the studio as the supply to the studio already has rcd protection from the house.

I do often think when we read a post like this, with all respect to the original writer, that we are basically aiding and abetting unqualified persons to do notifiable works, isnt that what we are very much against ? I do admit it goes against my desire to help people- what does everyone else think ?

Reply to wiring of an outbuilding/studio in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock