Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Wiring Plugs and lights in to garage. in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. John Sheehan

John Sheehan New EF Member

Hi, I am in the process of converting my garage in to a living space and am just after confirming I am configuring the plugs and lights correctly before going ahead. I will be getting it all tested by a qualified electrician once completed, but am looking to do the work myself. I am competent with running wiring and ensuring connections are secure etc as am an IT technician by trade so know my way around cabling generally.

There is already an electrical connection coming in to the garage from the main fuse box in the house so I will be using this. I'll be having 2 bog standard ceiling lights with individual switches, and 2x2way plug sockets. There will be a tumble dryer in there and likely 2x500w oil heaters and then general tv, xbox, phone charger etc. I've been looking at the following consumer unit:

Axiom Metal 17th Edition Amendment 3 Garage Consumer Unit - https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-metal-17th-edition-amendment-3-garage-consumer-unit/p24537

Would this be sufficient/appropriate for my needs?

As far as wiring, my plan was to run the 2 lights off of the 6a, and then the 2 plugs off of the 32a fuse. I've drawn a very basic diagram here :

[​IMG]

The other real question I would like to confirm is what cable rating I would need for all of this? Would any twin and earth be sufficient? This for example:

Twin & Earth Cable (6242Y) Grey - https://www.toolstation.com/twin-earth-cable-6242y-grey/p26103

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

layout.png

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you plan looks IK, but please get electrician in from the start. the work is notifiable to BC.

3. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    What type, size is the cable that is supplying the existing electrics in the Garage, also what size is the OCPD covering that supply? Plus why a 32 Amp OCPD for the sockets?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Rob

Rob Control System Engineer Respected Member

The EIC your "electrician" will be signing off has a part mentioning design.

Let him design it for you. After all it's his name on the certificate.

As has already been stated, this work is notifiable to building control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The_apprentice2.0

The_apprentice2.0 Regular EF Member

I would also recommend getting a spark in to design for you and if they're happy for you to do so you can then complete the work to their specs, be careful on what cable you are going to use for the sockets, especially if your plan is to run a radial from a 32amp breaker ??

6. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

2.5mm cable on a 32A radial socket circuit... You sure the OPs plan looks ok mate?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. John Sheehan

Thank you very much for your replies.

You seem surprised at the 32a breaker. This was why I came here to check I would be using the correct spec items. Is 32a too high for it's intended use? Would this be more appropriate?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/chint-nx3-5-module-2-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/9864v

Has a 16a one instead of the 32a.

Is 2.5mm cable not suitable for plug sockets? Ex's father was a builder and whenever I helped him out he always used 2.5mm for plugs. Well, he actually used it for everything from wiring to tying the boot door down when picking up a sofa, haha.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

John.

8. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

2.5mm cable doesn't ave suitable current carrying capacity for use on a 32 amp radial circuit.

Please consult a local electrician to help you with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 45140

45140 Regular EF Member

John,

You are clearly not competent as a designer or indeed as an installer. With respect being an IT technician this confers no competence in domestic wiring.

Also can you explain how you will comply with the Wiring Regulations in respect of the testing of the circuits and the bringing of the new work into service as you cannot sign off the Electrical Installation Certificate, neither are you deemed able to undertake the Inspection and Testing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

OP: Which does beg the question, why are you not asking the electrician who will be putting his name to this work? He should be your first point of contact, not us.

11. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None

12. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Most Builders do John, because they don't know diddly squat about electrics.

13. John Sheehan

I won't be signing any certificates, as I said, before I actually use it I will be finding a professional to check it and sign it off. As far as running cables and wiring sockets/fuses, I am totally confident in my competence. My question is mainly related to the correct cable and consumer box to use, and if my layout plan would be incorrect or unsafe. Over the years I have installed power to small bases in Afghanistan from generators, i've installed hard wired security lights and replaced numerous sockets amongst many other electrical repairs. My issue is that it's always been with pre-provided items or direct replacements. My questions are purely are the suggested items sufficient etc.

I've contacted a couple of electricians, but both quotes were approaching 4 figures which when I know I can do the work myself to a decent standard, I am reluctant to fork out. I may be able to call around more and get one that will advise on the design, but figured if I asked on a professional forum I might be able to get the info..

Thanks again,

John.

14. Spoon

Spoon Forum Mentor

Totally understand you wanting to save money.
    Please understand that this should be talked through with the electrician who will be signing it off. There are plenty of different ways to do the job and the way you have suggested may not be liked by the electrician. Talk to them and see which way he/she is happy with.
    Everyone is then happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

I would try an find some other electricians to engae. Offer to carry out the labouring side of the work to reduce costs and ask them to inspect at agreed points, this way you could reduce costs.