Discuss Wiring Regs - Digital Package? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm needing new copies of BYB / OSG / GN3. Was thinking of trying the digital package.

Has anyone tried or using either of the digital versions? How do they compare to the real thing?

Electrical Standards Plus or Vitalsource Bookshelf

Any info / advice greatly appreciated!

I can and do take the digital version wherever I go. I like it. It is searchable. For ÂŁ260 a year I get all the GN 1-8 OSG BYB ISITEE design book LED code of practice (really useful. Personally I think it is great ESplus I use. I can add users to it such as people who work with me and train. It gets updated automagically, whats not to like? Try buying those books and keep them updated at a lesser cost.

If you buy off the right sellers, you should be fit to pick up those 3 new on eBay for about ÂŁ75 delivered or less, I got a used GN3 for ÂŁ3.49 delivered, a used BYB for ÂŁ10.50 plus ÂŁ3.50 p&p and a OSG for ÂŁ19.50 delivered.

As others have said, you can add your own notes to it and any other info you think helps you.

You can get a digital version??? I need this, assumedly I can find regs I never knew existed by using search words? MisterE, get yourself a Kindle and keep your grip tight!

I can and do take the digital version wherever I go. I like it. It is searchable. For ÂŁ260 a year I get all the GN 1-8 OSG BYB ISITEE design book LED code of practice (really useful. Personally I think it is great ESplus I use. I can add users to it such as people who work with me and train. It gets updated automagically, whats not to like? Try buying those books and keep them updated at a lesser cost.
PDF versions of regs used to be great, theyre word searchable, bookmarkable and you can also add your own annotations etc. The problem I find nowadays with the digital versions is they cripple them with their damn protection which means often they only open in some proprietary viewer which is usually crap and many won't work unless you've got an internet connection and they restrict them to certain devices so if you have a version on your office PC you can't keep a copy on your kindle or on you phone etc. Also the digital versions are a rip off, there's no reason they should be charging even half of what they are when there's no printing and distribution costs etc.

You can download any part of anything you have subscribed to for use off line. You can take notes and save them. The utility of the digital version is increasingly getting better @Marvo. I do however agree the cost is questionable. @Philthompson I am very dubious as to whether you can get up to date with the shady sources you speak of. There are a lot of fakes out there at least I feel confident I am getting genuine copies of the material I want.

I cut up my regs book and scanned it. Now have a hard copy and a PDF I can search...
No... not giving anyone a copy...

@Vortigern some folks are always dubious. They are for sale by reputable new & used bookstores, not Chinese imports lol

The used copies I got seem to be exactly the same as the copies anyone else in the inspection testing course and tutor is using.

Haven't found anything missing from them during their use either.

In fact the fact you can add people to the subsciption meant that I got the cost down to ÂŁ10 becuase everyone put in ÂŁ50 and I ended up paying nothing as there were five subscribers. So using your imagination and business skills mean that you can defray costs.

Reply to Wiring Regs - Digital Package? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net