Discuss Wiring Telephone Points in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

Looking to wire several telephone points. One master telephone and two for sky boxes.

Would it be best to take a cable from the master telephone socket to a junction box then split it 2 ways?

Looking to use cat5e instead of telephone cable.

Cheers

Traditionally phone points should be wired as a radial circuit. Only one master point is needed at the beginning of the circuit to create the ring signal.
Although sky boxes don't need the ringer you might as well connect it at those points as you'll have enough cores there.

Hi all,

Looking to wire several telephone points. One master telephone and two for sky boxes.

Would it be best to take a cable from the master telephone socket to a junction box then split it 2 ways?

Cheers

run both cables for the telephone points for the sky boxes back to the master point or daisy chain them.

Yes. Jelly crimps all good or get both in one termination if it makes a sound connection

Can more than 2 wires e terminated into a master point?

I've seen those jelly crimp for telephone cable.

Not reliably, more than 2 tend to fall out.

Back when BT were in charge of it all they wanted everything wired as a radial and not starred from a central point. To the point that their engineers would cop a real strop I'd they got called out to a property where it had been done as a star, when 9 times out of 10 it had been done by their engineers

No.

There is an overhead line with a cable coming off of it which needs to be extended as it has been cut off by previous owner.

Are bt required to connect master?

i would get the home owner To sign up for a BT account and book an appointment to come and fit the master and check the phone works.

Once they have done their bit you can add your work to the customer "side" of the BT master with the knowledge that it works.

for voice and sky receivers anything will do. worth getting any broadband router plugged in the master socket, quality of line really matters in that case.

Hi all,

Cheers

Cat 5e is ok to use although I would avoid using the CCA variety

Traditionally phone points should be wired as a radial circuit. Only one master point is needed at the beginning of the circuit to create the ring signal.
Although sky boxes don't need the ringer you might as well connect it at those points as you'll have enough cores there.

There is no need for the ringer circuit ( terminal 3 ) to be connected and connecting it can result in interference and poorer broadband speeds. The i-plate and newer VDSL filters mounted on the NTE 5 disconnect the ringer circuit because of the problems it causes

Just buy a master with screw terminals as oppose to the punch down option then you can just twist them together.

The plate where the extensions connect still has krone connectors I'm not aware of any with screw terminals. On the NTE 5 (Master) socket it will take one incomer and 2 outgoing cables.
If the NTE 5 is fitted with the additional VDSL filter you can have filtered and unfiltered extensions wired from the master

Reply to Wiring Telephone Points in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock