Discuss Wiring to Cabin from House? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Why cant someone on here invent 'Bluetooth Mains Sockets' Then job done.. Just imagine how easy life will be.......

talking rubbish so deleted this.....

Why cant someone on here invent 'Bluetooth Mains Sockets' Then job done.. Just imagine how easy life will be.......
802.11 mate - wifi will solve this surely?

Thanks for your replies. No, we couldn't run the cable round the house as it's not detached, It's a townhouse in between two others

Not too sure on the Earthing system, sorry.
No metal fittings or copper pipes in the cabin.
6mm only because I've done a bit of research prior and from what I can see majority say use 6mm cable or above for future proofing (I've probably misunderstood)
This is what I was planning to fit in the cabin: British General 5-Module 3-Way Populated Garage Consumer Unit - https://www.screwflix..com/p/british-general-5-module-3-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/1926g#product_additional_details_container

again, thanks for your help.
PS- I think I entered my DOB wrong. I'm 31, not 21 :) Wish I was!

Hi OP.
You are intending to wire to an existing ring mains circuit. The max current you can have is 32A... (If a 32A breaker is fitted at the house CU)
Have you tried wiring 6mm into a socket that already has two 2.5mm cables in?
2 RCD's of the same type, in series, is bad.
How is the cable going to be installed between your house and cabin?

I will be getting an electrician in to run this past first either way.

I don't want to be negative, but your option is to find your electrician and have him tell you what he/she needs to do. Any advice on an Internet forum will be guesswork at best.

At the end of the day it will be your electrician who signs the document that says they DESIGNED, INSTALLED and TESTED the whole enchilada.

during a recent time warp, i went to the year 2225 where i discovered that my great,great,great........... great grandson invents a tri-lithium ion power supply that will power a double socket for 25 years. just needs a 47mm back box to house it behind the socket. wireless sockets are the future.

I don't want to be negative, but your option is to find your electrician and have him tell you what he/she needs to do. Any advice on an Internet forum will be guesswork at best.

At the end of the day it will be your electrician who signs the document that says they DESIGNED, INSTALLED and TESTED the whole enchilada.
Unless of course, it's Kev the electrician from down the pub, qualified to part "Mines a pint mate no worries, me and Kev Jr will do that"

I've been in contact with an Electrician friend today who came round pretty swiftly to have a look, he's advised me what'd be involved and has found a suitable route to run an SWA cable from the CU in the house. As I said, it's a townhouse, the consumer unit is just inside the front door next to the garage. He's suggested to go through the wall into the garage and through the ceiling of the garage and into the Kitchen above under the kitchen cupboards. From there, through the external wall and out into the garden where it'll run underground to the cabin. Where there's a will there's a way!
When I get an ETA for the cabin to arrive I'll be having him round to do the work I think.
Thank you for all your replies :)

There’s a money-saving opportunity right there. Get digging the half metre deep trench for the cable.

Unless of course, it's Kev the electrician from down the pub, qualified to part "Mines a pint mate no worries, me and Kev Jr will do that"
Somebody mention me??:eek:

The ceiling of your garage is part of a fire compartment and will need to be correctly sealed where the cable passes through.

Make sure you get it delivered when your sparky friend isn’t on holidaybobs!

Hi...to be honest your plan for a new circuit sounds like a bit of an overkill. All you need to do is fit a 13a FCU (spur) at the socket in the house and then run out 2.5mm SWA to the cabin for your sockets. You can then fit another 3a FCU for your lights. You will have enough power for what you need and it is a lot simpler.

To avoid any de-decoration work inside the house you could even fit a decent make weatherproof FCU on the outside of the house. As it is a new house I assume you have RCD protection at the CCU if not a RCD spur should be used.

Hope that helps.

Reply to Wiring to Cabin from House? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock