Discuss Wiring up 8 x 230v 35w downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, this will be my 2nd post as a member.

I want to replace my existing pendant lights in my living room with 8 x 35Watt GU10 led downlights. Was just wondering about the best method of wiring these together so they can be operated from a two way dimmer switch. Ie: In two groups of four.

Really appreciate any help with the above.

Cheers! :)

I think you're a bit mixed up with the wattage there, 35w halogen downlights would be about right using 8 in an average lounge but the LED equivalent would only need 6 or 7 watts for the same light level.
There are many ways of doing this job but as Murdoch said you really need a competent electrician on board as it could get a bit involved.

What size is the room?
Dimming just 4 LED GU10 lamps can be troublesome. Enlite 5w (520 Lumens) Lamps and the Aurora Dimmer Module I find work well together, and are easy to configure for minimum brightness.

Personally though if using a dimmer I'd stick all 8 on together with 1 Dimmer, rather than have 2 zones.

2 pieces of advice

1. 35w LEDs will be extremely bright and very expensive

2. Get a spark ....... And a plasterer

Hi Murdoch.

Okay, I'll rephrase the question,

I want to replace my existing pendant lights in my living room with 8 x 10Watt GU10 led downlights. Was just wondering about the best method of wiring these together so they can be operated from a two way dimmer switch. Ie: In two groups of four.

Many thanks!;)

What size is the room?
Dimming just 4 LED GU10 lamps can be troublesome. Enlite 5w (520 Lumens) Lamps and the Aurora Dimmer Module I find work well together, and are easy to configure for minimum brightness.

Personally though if using a dimmer I'd stick all 8 on together with 1 Dimmer, rather than have 2 zones.
Hello, 123.

Thank you for your mature and informative response. The living room is quite large. Approximately 3x7 metres . If I go with your method, I'm confident to carry out the work and daisy chain them. Thanks for the info on products, I will look them up.

Cheers mate. Much appreciated.

i'd use 12 x 5watt, in 2 banks for a room that size. that will give you 1m spacing. 2 groups of 6, and a 2 gang switch.

How many existing pendants do you have and how are they connected, looped at switch or looped at pendants.

Roughly 3x7 metres, Gents. They're looped at the pendant with the furthest pendant from switch being the end of the downstairs lighting circuit. Before you's bite my head of guys. I'm a trainee spark with a little experience, Levels 2 & 3 C&G 2365 and 17th edition. Yes, I could pay for a real spark to come in and do a perfect job as money isn't a problem but I would get no experience from it. I understand basic lighting circuitry and how to safely isolate so I think with the correct knowledge, I am more than capable of completing this work and at the same time staying within the confines of the law.

Cheers guys.

i'd use 12 x 5watt, in 2 banks for a room that size. that will give you 1m spacing. 2 groups of 6, and a 2 gang switch.
Way overkill imo. And in LED terms, wattage means nothing. Enlite 5W Cool White are 520 Lumens, other brands can be around 300-350. Ceiling would be like a Swiss Cheese.

As it comes under part P you will have to carry out the work in accordance with Bs7671. Which means testing and certification in accordance with Bs7671. Failure to do so is against the law.
Maybe I have misunderstood. I was under the impression that a homeowner can make additions to an existing lighting circuit without notifying building control.

it's a big room 22 ft x 10ft. my method has always worked for me and customers have been happy. nothing worse than installing lighting to have the customer ask you for the loan of a white stick or a torch.

Reply to Wiring up 8 x 230v 35w downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net