Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Wiring up garage lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Joe

Joe EF Member

Hi I'm new to this forum but am hoping for some advice on wiring for my garage.

Ive recently built a new garage at the bottom of the garden and have run 30m of 6mm swa from the house to a new consumer unit in the garage to power 2 florescent lights from a 6a MCB, a 13a socket from a 16a MCB and a 16a socket from a 20a MCB. Everything is correctly terminated and works properly.
    However, I'd now like to add a switch to the lighting circuit rather than using the consumer unit to switch on and off. I have bought a 1 way outdoor switch for this circuit but believe I will need to add a ceiling rose/ junction box to avoid a short circuit. Please can someone look at my wiring diagram to let me know if they think it works. Is this the simplest option? Also would wiring like this pass regulations; I'm doing the work but will need this signed off by a spark when I'm finished.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Joe

15371810667178925420155219383053.jpg

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    that willl work, but you need to get your tame electrician to test before energising.do not power up before he's done the dead testing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Why a 20 amp MCB for a 16 amp socket?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Trusted Advisor

Is anything 30mA RCD protected?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

I wouldn't bother with roses, just feed direct through the switch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Out of curiosity, why an outdoor switch? Why not just put a switch inside the garage?
    Are there any extraneous conductive parts in your garage?
    Also, as above, any RCD protection?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Trusted Advisor

Hi Joe

If it's already wired and the switch is an addition, you could just wire your new switch back to the CU and do your connection in there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Failing any of the above you could get an Electrician to do the job properly, supply all the relevant certification etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TJ Anderson

I dont think anyone who asks q's on here wants an electrician or certification.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    If that is the case why is everyone offering advice when we all know what is required certificate wise, and the rule of the Forum regarding offering advice to What appears to be a DIY job. Should got the job done by a professional in the first place, of course if the OP says he is an Electrician, then he should give up, or get a new career.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  11. TJ Anderson

He is saying he wants a spark to sign it off at the end. He can use the Part P 3rd party sign off for that. Spark can inspect and test it and charge handsomely for it. If anything is amiss they can charge redo it or OP can redo it himself and the spark can charge again to inspect and test again until they are happy. 3rd party sign off is not cheap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Like I said TJ should have got the job done right in the first place. People froging about with electrics when they don't know what they are doing is a recipe for danger and unnecessary expense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TJ Anderson

He's an adult and that's his decision what he chooses to do. The job may well be satisfactory. The spark who tests and inspects it will decide that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

…..and SWA and DIY don't tend to go together too well.…….about as well as frogs with electrics.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. TJ Anderson

I know what you're saying, but he only asked about a light switch lol. Why do we have to consider his whole install and certification? Someone is gonna ask about him "exporting" something in a minute hahaha :)