Discuss Wiska box with earth gland and conduit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm putting a wireless controller outside. Coming off a spare mcb on protected side. Using 4mm to an isolator then above damp course to outside wiska box to terminate to 4mm swa. My question is I'll be using the earth glands to connect the armour to the cpc but with these attached can you still connect conduit? It's more for cosmetic reasons as I don't like the look of swa running down a wall. Will a wiska aperture allow the gland unit and conduit nut to fit togther?

I'm putting a wireless controller outside. Coming off a spare mcb on protected side. Using 4mm to an isolator then above damp course to outside wiska box to terminate to 4mm swa. My question is I'll be using the earth glands to connect the armour to the cpc but with these attached can you still connect conduit? It's more for cosmetic reasons as I don't like the look of swa running down a wall. Will a wiska aperture allow the gland unit and conduit nut to fit togther?

Picture or diagram of what you intend to do as your description is a little hard to grasp

Do you need to use SWA if you are using conduit?
What Type of conduit are you using?

Yes because the thread is still on the box, assuming you are using pvc conduit just fit a male box coupler.

@telectrix - I take it your bored? (2 posts deleted)
It would be appreciated if you didn't start derailing threads with video posts etc, I see the OP has posted a reasonable question and expect he is not looking to be mocked for the level of said query, it is clear by his profile he is not a DIYer but just out of his comfort zone. :)

@telectrix - I take it your bored?
It would be appreciated if you didn't start derailing threads with video posts etc, I see the OP has posted a reasonable question and expect he is not looking to be mocked for the level of said query, it is clear by his profile he is not a DIYer but just out of his comfort zone. :)

Very true on that. I'm an aircraft spark by trade and now industrial elect so don't come into domestic stuff really with the regs. As I haven't used wiska boxes before as I normally just use galvanised boxes. I wanted to be clear before I start and get the stuff. Plush don't want it to look crap

Cheers didn't know how much room the earth gland bar took up.
The plate has two non threaded 20mm holes so a male coupler will thread through it.

Very true on that. I'm an aircraft spark by trade and now industrial elect so don't come into domestic stuff really with the regs. As I haven't used wiska boxes before as I normally just use galvanised boxes. I wanted to be clear before I start and get the stuff. Plush don't want it to look crap

For a customer?

Just to clarify, are you intending to use plastic or metal conduit?

No for me. I'm not as domestic spark so not part of a board
If you are installing a new circuit it is notifiable to building control under Part P of the Building Regulations.

Unless someone specifically asks, I never bother posting that certification and or notification is required.
I figure this is an electrical forum, not a building regulations forum.

Which ever couple fits the run is so small I'm not fussed
Threaded galv conduit will screw straight in to the earth gland without need of a coupler.
If you do want to use a coupler, then you would need either a long brass bush or a nipple coupler and female coupler.

With plastic, a male adapter should have a thread long enough to reach the earth gland, you may have to enlarge the hole in the whiska box.

Threaded galv conduit will screw straight in to the earth gland without need of a coupler.
If you do want to use a coupler, then you would need either a long brass bush or a nipple coupler and female coupler.

With plastic, a male adapter should have a thread long enough to reach the earth gland, you may have to enlarge the hole in the whiska box.
The brass plate is not threaded. You do not open the hole in the Wiska box you use the thread and then use the grub screw on the plate to fasten the gland.

Cheers all for your help and for all those concerned yes It will be notified work and signed off. My mate does it for the council.

Reply to Wiska box with earth gland and conduit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net