Discuss Wiska box with earth gland and conduit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers all for your help and for all those concerned yes It will be notified work and signed off. My mate does it for the council.
Is your mate an electrician then?

What figures?
Put it this way if I can wire a 9 million pound aircraft avionics suite and air defence system. I'm sure I can manage a 10m swa line. And as I'll be notifying my local authority to get them to sign it off what really does figure?? Anyway it's my house and my insurance policy and some kind people have answered my quiry so... go figure.

Last edited:
What figures?
Put it this way if I can wire a 9 million pound aircraft avionics suite and air defence system. I'm sure I can manage a 10m swa line. And as I'll be notifying my local authority to get them to sign it off what really does figure?? Anyway it's my house and my insurance policy and some kind people have answered my quiry so... go figure.
I'm not doubting your obvious talents Mate, you are obviously well versed in wiring up aircraft, question is, can you honestly say, your service qualifications, relate to the rules and regulations regarding domestic installations, you may think so but it's very doubtful, imo, I really don't mean to be savage, domestic electrics, may be know where near the skill set of an Aircraft Tech, but there are rules to follow. Your insurance company may have something to say on this issue Mate. I wish you luck and hope you get the desired results you want.

Last edited:
Don't worry I have my 17th edition. That solves all problems doesn't it. I know there are rules to follow but that isn't the initial question here is it. How you can assume all that from me asking about if a coupler will fit alongside an earth gland you must have other talents apart from being a spark. I also work installing 3 phase motors and drive systems so don't deal with building control as it's not required in my sector as being a competent person I can do it. Hence why my buddy from the controls department will be signing the new circuit off. I could be a cowboy about it and not bother at all but thats not how i work.

So you have your 17th, well you can navigate a book then.
Think I had better sign off on this one, for fear of saying something, perhaps I shouldn't.

Firstly @Powellm welcome to the forum, it nice to have all walks of life on the forum and you are clearly a clever guy with your background.
Also apologies for the interrogation you seem to be getting from Certain members, it's not something we encourage.
Off the back of that can all members please refrain from getting the thumb screws out everytime someone asks a question.
The op asked a specific question in his opening post that could have been answered without all the rubbish that ensued.
@Pete999 Not sure if you're hitting the vino a bit hard today but if so maybe don't post at the same time, it's never a good combination.
Any negative posts by anyone will be deleted, we have worked to hard getting the forum to where it is to start letting it slip back to the old ways.

I may have read this wrong but have got impression that the SWA is going in the conduit? In which case the conduit will have to stop a few inches short of the risks box for the SWA gland to fit.
Unless you use a bigger conduit which fits over the SWA gland, but that then would only be able to butt up to the box rather than coupling tonit.

Hence why my buddy from the controls department will be signing the new circuit off.

Risking being told off by the mods, but this sounds a right ole coup d'Ă©tat.

We've finally got a registered competent sparks, thats infiltrated a local building control, and completing compliance certificates with a nod & a wink ;)

Personally, I would just take the chance and not bother doing a notification, and risk the very low chance of a prosecution, rather than the possibility of being found guilty of bribing a public official and him losing his job, because of misconduct in a public office; which come with a slightly high tier of punishment.

Just saying :)

PPS. The Wiska boxes have threaded orifices, and as said the brass earthing kits do not. So this combination gives you the flexibility to do want you want.

i can't see why plastic conduit would look better on a wall than neatly cleated SWA.

Reply to Wiska box with earth gland and conduit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net