Discuss Within Competent Person Schemes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andyelectric

Hi, I would appreciate answers from those who have worked within a CPS.

From the 'Practical Solutions' thread some will have seen that I raised that it might be possible to effect change from within the schemes.

However, this is from the slightly naive vantage point of little knowledge of how their policy decisions are made.

Are there many electricians in positions of power within such schemes, or are they all managers with eyes only for greenbacks. Can policy change be effected from within.

Constructive comments from those in the know please. No rants.

the schemes will never raise the bar. they'll lose members. it was the schemes that created the title of DI solely to boost their fat wallets.

the schemes will never raise the bar. they'll lose members. it was the schemes that created the title of DI solely to boost their fat wallets.

Tel, to be fair that's almost a rant as not backed up by info. What I am wondering is the make-up of these organisations. Someone must make policy decisions for them, if so can this be influenced.

The Part P schemes were, in my eyes a good thing, the only problem was the entry level was set way too low. However, overall, I think it has been financially a real boost for my business. Also, I do know some good DI's, most of which have gone on to become fully qualified electricians, the crap ones don't make it.

The Part P schemes were, in my eyes a good thing, the only problem was the entry level was set way too low. However, overall, I think it has been financially a real boost for my business. Also, I do know some good DI's, most of which have gone on to become fully qualified electricians, the crap ones don't make it.

It's the low entry level that needs influencing. But that is being discussed currently on another thread.

Do you have sny idea how scheme's policys could be influenced to raise the bar?

Yeah defiantly. Domestic Installer should = Fully Qualified Electrician Level (NVQ3), 2391 or current equivalent, plus a building regulation qualification, Sorted.

Yes. Remove the policies altogether by removing the schemes. End of.

That is not going to happen IMO with the money NICEIC and chums are making. Raising the bar is more practical surely, and the schemes should get behind it, they could make money out of it training DI's to become Electricians.

Good luck influencing their policy Andy, you've got more chance of knitting custard. They will laugh at you.
The schemes know best, they are the guardians of electrical safety and they'll allow nothing and no one to threaten their gift that keeps on giving.

That is not going to happen IMO with the money NICEIC and chums are making. Raising the bar is more practical surely, and the schemes should get behind it, they could make money out of it training DI's to become Electricians.

Punching people in the head is wrong. When is the last time you heard anyone say "We know punching people in the head is wrong, but it happens, so let's just accept it and try to regulate it so that people don't get punched in the head too hard"???

If something is wrong, it is wrong. I will not support it, nor will I try to move the goal posts, I will try to end it.

Ok I get the point.

I'll give up on this thread then, as clearly it's just going to revert into a 3rd thread about the same thing.

If mods can end it please do.

Reply to Within Competent Person Schemes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock