Discuss Work quiet at the moment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
The past month or two so has been noticeably quieter than its been for years. I have enough work to keep me going for a while and I'm chilled about it even if the work stops because I have lots of jobs to catch up with in my own house, and enough in my piggy bank to keep my going.

Could it be that my customers have finally sussed out that I ain't a great spark and are going elsewhere, or have others also noticed their phone isn't ringing as much lately?

I have noticed the domestic work is a bit quieter, i think in part that the hot weather has meant people aren't worrying about DIY as its too hot to do anything, they are all sat outside having a BBQ!
I am getting quite a few enquiries about outdoors sockets and lights though. Most of the domestic work I am getting is quick well paid small jobs like cooker connections, changing of light fittings and fault diagnosis... couple of them a day and it soon adds up. less major stuff like new CU or circuits.
The EV charger installs are picking up though. Had 2 of them this month.

better no certificates than no electric when it falls off the wall.:D:D:D:D.

Slowed right down recently after a busy couple of years, still catching up to an extent with outstanding/ongoing work....but been a scratching about week this week. School work starts Monday, got about 3 weeks of that.:cool:

Start of the year I was thinking I haven’t got much in the diary but it never really went quiet in the end and jobs started rolling in. I’ve got a new build industrial estate that is sort of a hospital job when things are slow between jobs. They're just basic fit outs though and normally in and out in a day. It’s a good site to have as I get a lot of full fit outs when they are purchased. Just started 15 flats, another site of 29 houses starting in a few months and 28 flats stating January. Also got a couple of high end new builds on the go and all the usual ticking over jobs like periodics, rewires, extensions etc coming through in drips and drabs. The local authority have really come down hard as late on the landlords who own the majority of the rough bit of town and brought in a licensing scheme....Getting at least 3 enquiries a week about Fire alarms and emergency lighting because of this. The only trouble is most of them think cash is king and don’t like VAT. There is always times when you start to think am I going to have enough to keep everyone going but it seems to sort itself out in the end.

I had a very quiet spell about 6 weeks back, luckily, or unluckily, my mate bought a house that needed a full rewire so i have been busy with that.
Mates rates and me (very) underestimating timescales has left me, not out of pocket, but a very undesirable day rate!
I have been in my own for nearly 4 years and this is only my 4th rewire.....I usually avoid if i can....
I have a very nice contract with a local private school which usually see’s me there for around 7 weeks or more over the summer doing upgrades and general maintenance and new installs while the kids are on summer holiday.
Got a message Monday, bursar ran out of money until 1st September so i am not to go in!
Bugger!!! Luckily i have a 2 massive office blocks to test which will keep me busy for the next 3-4 weeks so all is not too bad.
Got a lot in the book for September as usually busy with the school work so not that worried....

In this situation, the bursar of a school I do work at asks me to go in, but send the bill on or after 1/Sep.

I have booked them in for the last few weeks of August so i can invoice them on the 31st (Friday) ready for the following week when funds are available.
Obviously, unlike yourself, i am not in a position to do 7 weeks work and not get a penny....
Rather earn a bit each week to be honest.

It's just been ramping up and up for me, has been since about March. I'm taking bookings for early September onwards, and have a couple of folks on my reserve list in case I get a couple of hours free before then. I find it very difficult to say no, but I'm learning and have done so, turning down a couple of jobs I know I wouldn't have time to do.

I'm putting my rates up by 10% in Sept.

Reply to Work quiet at the moment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net