Discuss work this one out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benjamiin

Went to a callout today, every time the pump on a solid fuel system kicks in the dvd player turns off for a second then comes back on,the same applies when the pump turns off. The system was on a plug top plugged into the ring. I checked all connections and were fine. I then ran an extension lead off the cooker and plugged the system in, it worked fine with no disturbances to the dvd player, so assuming i had a fault on the ring i ranround with a martindale, no wiring faults. I then ir'd said ring main, all >13 mega ohms and decent end to ends too. I then made sure all circuits were seperate e.g immersion mcb only switched immersion,, cooker only switched cooker and so on. I then changed dp on immersion circuit to a single socket and plugged it in to prove my earlier findings with extension lead. I turned high stat to pull in pump and the dvd player went off again. Custoomer has changed her dvd player and it doesnt happen when standard tv is being watched. I am stumped to say the least, i had 2 thoughts in mind, the first was maybe the pump is leaking current to earth and the dvd player doesnt like it, the second was to admit momentary defeat and post it on here! Any help gratefully received. Ben

Went to a callout today, every time the pump on a solid fuel system kicks in the dvd player turns off for a second then comes back on,the same applies when the pump turns off. The system was on a plug top plugged into the ring. I checked all connections and were fine. I then ran an extension lead off the cooker and plugged the system in, it worked fine with no disturbances to the dvd player, so assuming i had a fault on the ring i ranround with a martindale, no wiring faults. I then ir'd said ring main, all >13 mega ohms and decent end to ends too. I then made sure all circuits were seperate e.g immersion mcb only switched immersion,, cooker only switched cooker and so on. I then changed dp on immersion circuit to a single socket and plugged it in to prove my earlier findings with extension lead. I turned high stat to pull in pump and the dvd player went off again. Custoomer has changed her dvd player and it doesnt happen when standard tv is being watched. I am stumped to say the least, i had 2 thoughts in mind, the first was maybe the pump is leaking current to earth and the dvd player doesnt like it, the second was to admit momentary defeat and post it on here! Any help gratefully received. Ben

Is sockets and immersion on same side of DB as cooker circuit?

One thought that occurs to me is voltage drop, does the same thing occur if you switch on another load on the ring main? For example if you plug a kettle in to the ring main and switch it on does this affect the DVD player?

One thought that occurs to me is voltage drop, does the same thing occur if you switch on another load on the ring main? For example if you plug a kettle in to the ring main and switch it on does this affect the DVD player?

Good point dave, customer did say this sometimes occours when she puts her housephone back in it's charging dock! Is there such a thing as a voltage steadier if you like, that keeps the voltage abovw 220v?

Have you checked all terminations are sound at DB?

has he checked all terminations are sound everywhere more like..

caus all we`v heard so far is a bit about goin round with a plug-in tester...and an IR test...

sod all said about end to ends ...

which is where he should have started really....isn`t it...

Good point dave, customer did say this sometimes occours when she puts her housephone back in it's charging dock! Is there such a thing as a voltage steadier if you like, that keeps the voltage abovw 220v?

In theory it is the DNO! But you really need to be sure about it not being a problem in the installation before you a start a battle with them!

caus all we`v heard so far is a bit about goin round with a plug-in tester...and an IR test...

The OP does say decent end to ends but no figures. I like the approach of the OP too, thoughtful, explains what hes done unlike other posts tonight!

Can you give some info on the pump that seems to be causing the issue? What size motor is it? What type of motor is it ie shaded pole, PSC, CSR, CSIR, CSCR etc? Is the motor starting under higher load than it ought to be? Is it starting cleanly ie is there any chattering of the contactor, start relay or centrifugal start switch or any signs of the motor being short-cycled?

Have you checked all terminations are sound at DB?

P

Jesus glenn that was a bit harsh, measure twice cut once should be altered to read twice then type once for you haha!

.[/QUOTE] The OP does say decent end to ends but no figures. I like the approach of the OP too, thoughtful, explains what hes done unlike other posts tonight![/QUOTE]

Thanks Murdoch, if i was on the pc i would like your post but im on the tablet sorry mate!

"I then ir'd said ring main, all >13 mega ohms and decent end to ends too" That may have had something to do with it FFS.

Can you give some info on the pump that seems to be causing the issue? What size motor is it? What type of motor is it ie shaded pole, PSC, CSR, CSIR, CSCR etc? Is the motor starting under higher load than it ought to be? Is it starting cleanly ie is there any chattering of the contactor, start relay or centrifugal start switch or any signs of the motor being short-cycled?

Ive made the (potentially foolish) assumption that we are talking about a circulating pump in a heating system, but await correction by the OP

Reply to work this one out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net