Discuss Working away 5 days a week in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well either you should be getting a allowance included in your wage or you should negotiate a subsistance allowance before you start.

As for being told only one days work is unfortunate but also part of being subby scum.

theres no negotiating with agency scum, its either take it or leave it , same with this bogus paye business that they throw at you

i no longer work away unless the pay is more than enough to cover the cost

If I had a boss tell me that.... I would be packing my tools up.
Your employees are the most important asset to your business. Treat them well and they will do you wonders.

If you are worth the money you want then you won't get told that.

If you aren't worth the money you want then you are probably being told that to encourage you to quit so that they don't have to pay you redundancy

If you are worth the money you want then you won't get told that.

If you aren't worth the money you want then you are probably being told that to encourage you to quit so that they don't have to pay you redundancy

Not saying you should sing everyone's praises everyday, but I have had a few bosses over the years be like that and it brings out their true colours.

It's not a wage rise anyway it's a working away allowance.

Interesting first post to read. We are based in the North-West.

If we have lads working in London for example:

-We pay 4 hours travel time (single rate) both ways.
-We pay for the hotel.
-£20 a day for food etc. directly into their account.
-10/12 hour days depending on site hours (1.5 x per hr after 8 hrs worked)
-Option to work Friday but come home Thursday evening and have Friday/Saturday/Sunday off.

They should pay accommodation inclusive of breakfast AND evening meal, if not, theyre goin against jib working rules and you dont have to go. Unless they give you some sort of food allowance but theres nothing in jib that says how much. Miser bosses like guest125 pay about £20 a day which goes nowhere, unfortunately, my boss and guest125 both have black hearts and you end up comin home with no more. What im doing is cookin food for the week at home, (chilli, bolognase and curry) and freeze it in those Chinese takeaway plastic boxes, then i defrost mondays tea sunday night and put the rest in fridge at work to defrost. Thursday's tea can go in the freezer box in fridge till Tuesday night. Then i just buy microwave rice or pasta and nuke it before i leave and take it to the hotel.... Thus keeping your £20 a day that tight arses like guest125 deem acceptable.... I wonder how much it would cost someone to keep HIM away from friends and family for the week. Although judging by his comment and attitude i assume theyre happy to see the back of him for a week.

Last time I was on the books away from home it was nearly £40 a night. I was paying 200 a month lodge on a nice caravan site so when you're getting 240 a week tax free you are making a tidy profit. All depends on your digs and what you want but you can make it work.

Reply to Working away 5 days a week in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net