Discuss Working away from home and eating out in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There was a stage when I never wanted to see mcdonalds or subway again. I'd blame working away on gaining weight, but realistically I was just too lazy to make anything

There was a stage when I never wanted to see mcdonalds or subway again. I'd blame working away on gaining weight, but realistically I was just too lazy to make anything
You may think differently Matthew if you have worked in some of the places I have, sometimes MDs can be the difference between starving and getting the runs believe me I have a vast experience, weight increase can be the least of your worries.

I like goat...eat it quite often in Spain, but have never seen it on offer here. Knowing my luck, if I did see it and order it, someone else would get it...
as in get my goat?

Also, no joke, in Spain a goat is "cabra"
leg is "pata"
and nickname pata de cabra is a crowbar
but that's enough useless info for tonight

Worked in Milan years back and as I was working for a Japanese Comms company (in the 80's) they always flew you out business class and if staying overnight they would book you in to a 5* hotel, the food allowance was £15, try finding something to eat late in the evening at the Savoy for £15 luckily I found a Burger King around the corner, the concierge did give me a funny look as I walked back through the lobby carrying the BK bag........

Also watching Minder on the TV in Italian was interesting but not as interesting as running the bath, tipping out the bubble bath and pressing all the buttons and walking two minutes later to find the jacuzzi bath had frothed up the foam halfway to the ceiling...........

We were in Bavaria some years ago and when we got back to the hotel they'd stopped doing food. The gaffer agreed to drive into the nearest town to find a restaurant that was open late. We stumbled across the "Restaurant Olympia" in Landsberg and decided to go in. It turned out to be a Greek restaurant with a menu in German and waiters that couldn't speak any English.
I said I might be able to get us by with my schoolboy German and promptly ordered 4 large beers. I struggled with the menu but seeing as the gaffer was there jokingly suggested the most expensive meal on the menu. It was before the Euro and was about £40 (this was back in around 1994). The gaffer was just about to go apeshit at my suggestion when I noticed that underneath it said it was for 4 people and there were 4 of us. I mentioned it might be a good idea then we wouldn't be arguing over whose meal looked best. So we ordered it.
At first they brought out a salad each and a tray of chips (result, I thought. At the very worst - salad and chips).
Then the kitchen door opened. 2 waiters staggered out carrying a plate between them that was about 3 feet across. There was all manner of meat piled on it into a mountain then on the very top was an orange with lit sparklers in it. A fanfare was played over the music system and the rest of the diners applauded. Just a bit embarrassing!!!

The same trip, my colleague needed the toilet in another restaurant and asked if I knew where it was. I didn't. He said "I'll ask". I said "do you know how to?" and he shot me a "really?" glance. He then got up and proceeded to ask the waitress "Wo ist der scheissen-hausen?". Just imagine a foreigner coming up to you and asking you where the shithouse is!!
On the way home we stopped in Luxembourg at breakfast time and stopped at a cafe. "Sheissen-hausen" bloke needed the Scheissen-hausen and disappeared. By the time he'd come back we'd already ordered off the french menu (2 omelettes and a "petit-dejeuner" continental). The waitress was waiting to take his order and feeling rushed ordered the only thing on the menu he recognised - Spaghetti Bolognaise! It was about 6.30am!!!!

Was in Madrid on a day trip working, the directors PA took me out to lunch and ordered me Paela I took one look at it and then we swapped meals...........

Another trip to Milan and the office administrator asked me if I have ever been to Italy before, I said no I hadn't but my Father was here in 1944 and I got that look that only women can do....... The Italians and the Spanish know how to do lunch, two hours food drinks.......

Reply to Working away from home and eating out in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock